Amazon purchases

johnny2shoes

How will a 'no deal Brexit' affect us in the republic of Ireland for Amazon purchases in the event of a 'No Deal' brexit?
It looks like the Brits want to paddle their own canoe at all costs unless they are bluffing.
I don't know the size of this market but from conversations with friends and neighbours it appears to be significant.
My question really is " will my goods cost more if the Brits opt out or have Amazon ways and means to by pass Borris
and his hard liners?

My question really is " will my goods cost more if the Brits opt out or have Amazon ways and means to by pass Borris
and his hard liners
Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, etc.

Very little of what you buy from Amazon is made in the UK, and a lot of it is shipped from outside UK, so they should be able to avoid any impact.

I have heard that Amazon sellers in the UK were being advised to take storage space in Amazon centres in mainland Europe. So you may see more goods ship from Germany etc. Some of the sellers you buy from now on Amazon.co.uk are often outside of the UK when you look at the detail.
Before buying on amazon check if an Irish online retailing has the same goods at similar price point.

I have heard that Amazon sellers in the UK were being advised to take storage space in Amazon centres in mainland Europe. So you may see more goods ship from Germany etc. Some of the sellers you buy from now on Amazon.co.uk are often outside of the UK when you look at the detail.
Before buying on amazon check if an Irish online retailing has the same goods at similar price point.

I do too for expensive single items.
Where Amazon cleans up is the free delivery for a few miscellaneous items in the €5 - €10 price range, as for such items the individual delivery charge can often be same price as the item.

Amazon are currently building a warehouse in greenogue. It won't stock items but will act as a consolidation warehouse.

So if you order a few things, they will all go there and packed together and sent out.

Possibly it is part of their brexit plan for Irish customers

Many thanks for all the replies especially the last one from 'peemac'
I do use Parcel Motel for stuff because some UK companies won't ship to us lads for some reason.
My impression was that most if not all of their catalogue was UK manufactured so my question hinged on that assumption.
If this is not the case then we have no worries about Borris' tariffs and taxes and my little orders won't be more expensive
if the Brits ride off into the sunset?
All your replies are much appreciated.

My impression was that most if not all of their catalogue was UK manufactured so my question hinged on that assumption.

Only a small fraction of what is sold on the .co.uk site is UK made. Much of what you buy from Amazon is supplied and invoiced by 3rd party market place sellers, it's likely most of those are based outside the UK.

Back in 2006 Amazon switched the ownership of the UK operation to Luxemburg (you'll notice Amazon EU Sarl on invoices) and relegated the UK base to a fulfillment centre.

Many of the sellers on Amazon.co.uk also sell on eBay and/or have their own e-commerce sites. Some that don’t deliver to Ireland on Amazon will do so on eBay, etc.
Or just email them and ask if they could delivery your order to Ireland and how much postage would be.

I’m very surprised that there is no Amazon.ie yet.
It may happen soon as a Brexit dividend.

If this is not the case then we have no worries about Borris' tariffs and taxes and my little orders won't be more expensive
if the Brits ride off into the sunset?

Amazon is essentially an agent - it isn't their catelogue it is an amalgamation of various sellers. Also the difference between ".co.uk" vs ".de" for a buyer is pretty non-existant. The UK site isn't a collection of UK sellers. Next time you're ordering, take a note of the seller - a huge amount of the time it is China originated. So Britain being in the EU or not shouldn't make a difference.

Other than for larger items, most of what I order through amazon.co.uk gets routed through their Brussels hub direct to Dublin. So Brexit custom delays wouldn't affect it. But where there could be an impact would be any deliveries by land through UK. It shouldn't affect the cost but could add days to delivery time from EU to Ireland

You're thinking of Amazon Marketplace, and fulfilled by Amazon. Thats only a small section of it...the bulk is sold by Amazon itself, not by a collection of sellers.

You're thinking of Amazon Marketplace, and fulfilled by Amazon. Thats only a small section of it...the bulk is sold by Amazon itself, not by a collection of sellers.

The majority of activity is not sold by Amazon. Marketplace and "Fullfilled by Amazon" are bigger than "Sold by Amazon" (I think since 2018). But the remains - a lot of what I have bought in recent years (and I often choose the "sold by Amazon" option if I can) has routed through Brussels.

The majority of activity is not sold by Amazon. Marketplace and "Fullfilled by Amazon" are bigger than "Sold by Amazon" (I think since 2018). But the remains - a lot of what I have bought in recent years (and I often choose the "sold by Amazon" option if I can) has routed through Brussels.

I haven't had that experience (the Brussels route). I nearly always use either "sold by amazon" or "fulfilled by Amazon" so maybe that is the difference.

Marketplace and "Fullfilled by Amazon" are bigger than "Sold by Amazon" (I think since 2018).

Yes, Amazon reported that in 2018 that 3rd party sellers accounted for more than 63% of sales on the .co.uk site.

at approx €8 per month even if you do not buy anything

Below is the usual and is not 'written in stone'.
Even subscribing to 'prime' does not give you free P&P to Ireland on all items in fact I would go so far as saying that it is the minority
of items. However these items are usually marked 'Prime' but then quite often will not be available to be sent to Ireland.

Also, AFAIK, even if you can sign upto 'Prime' on the other EU sites you will generally not get free P&P to Ireland, thus we in Ireland
are somewhat disadvantaged in that we can only get the benefits of 'prime' ( and at that not even close to the full benefits ) from the .co.uk site.

To my mind, it is expensive for the casual buyer at £7.99 (note £) per month.

Last edited:
I inadvertently signed up to Prime and didn't know until I received my Visa statement. I promptly stopped payment and took all details of my CCard off the account. I am not using Amazon anymore because I do not know how I set it up.
Could there be one of those boxes that you must un tick rather than tick?

Could there be one of those boxes that you must un tick rather than tick?

You must actively opt in for prime and there are a few screens telling you that you have opted in and stating that you will be charged.
But there are more 'hoops' and screens to go through when you are cancelling.

Back