Am I still entitled to redundancy if I start new job?

D

DaithiMc

Hi guys,

I'm about to be let go from my job on a temporary layoff. This is the second time this year that this has happened and my employers have told me they have no idea how long it will be before they will call me back. I have the chance of an alternative job (on a lot less money than current position) in the coming weeks but what I'm confused about is can I still apply for redundancy after 4 weeks of layoff? Also, can I start working full time or should I be in receipt of social welfare until I get my redundancy?

Apologies if the answers to these questions are simple but I'm afraid this situation is all new to me.
Thanks

As far as I am aware you can apply for the redundancy after the required period on lay off - there is no obligation on you to be unemployed during lay off as far as i know. If you company make a reasonable offer of work in response and you do not take it up you will lose your entitlement to redundancy; otherwise you are entitled and taking up other work does not change that. By applying for redundancy while on lay off you will lose your entitlement to minimum notice.

Back