Am I entitled to Statutory Redundancy?

Nadd

Sorry for this long thread...

In July 08 the company where I had worked for 8 years was taken over. From the finance department three people including myself were given permanent positions, while the remainder were given quiet generous redundancy packages.

I was told that the job I was been offered was comparable to my old job and therefore was not entitled to redundancy. As the job description I was given was quiet vague I didn't challenge this at the time.

I think the only reason I was kept on was for the knowledge in our processed etc which was necessary for the integration. Long term I don't believe there is any future for me in the new company and so in July 09 I asked my manager for the possibility of redundancy.

She was quiet open to this and indicated that there was a possibility of this in March 09 but an official announcement would only be made in January. I agreed to this.

This morning she told me that as the integration is now largely finished that job is going to change. From January I am going to be doing a junior job, which I take as a demotion as I will have no chance of promotion or developing my career. I asked again about the redundancy package. She backtracked and said I have to talk to her manager, who is not available for the next few days.

I am of course aware that I am lucky to have a job in these times. However on the other hand I worked hard to build up a career over the past 8 years and now find this new job very hard to take.

If any of your posters have any advise for me on how to proceed I would be grateful. Can I force them to offer me statutory redundancy?

Thanks in advance...

Back