Am I entitled to refund of deposit - private sale

D

Dazzy

Recently I viewed a car (private sale) and was happy to purchase it. There was a problem in that the tax/log book was missing so this delayed the deal. While waiting for the tax/log book my circumstances changed which meant I was no longer in a position to buy the car.

When I pulled out of the deal the seller said they had "advice" that they did not have to refund my deposit.

Would anyone have experience of this in the past? Do I have any right to my deposit?

Generally, no.

You (by accident or design) wasted the sellers time and therefore they keep the deposit as compensation.

Sorry.

Recently I viewed a car (private sale) and was happy to purchase it. There was a problem in that the tax/log book was missing so this delayed the deal. While waiting for the tax/log book my circumstances changed which meant I was no longer in a position to buy the car.

When I pulled out of the deal the seller said they had "advice" that they did not have to refund my deposit.

Would anyone have experience of this in the past? Do I have any right to my deposit?
If it wasn't stated that the deposit was non refundable when you handed it over, then you have a claim on the money.
If there was no written or verbal contract they you can argue the case.

If it wasn't stated that the deposit was non refundable when you handed it over, then you have a claim on the money.
If there was no written or verbal contract they you can argue the case.
Yeah right...good luck with that :rolleyes:

Back