Am I entitled to redundancy?

Miss Nell

I'd really appreciate any help here. I may be eligible for voluntary redundancy from where I work shortly. I am a full time employee with this company for the past 3 years. For the 4 years previous to this I was in the same job but working through an agency. Would I be entitled to claim redundancy for the full 7 years or only for the time when I was employed directly? Thanks.

I was made redundant recently and I was in the same position as you ie I had worked for some time as a contractor before being made permanent. In my case I was not allowed any credit for the period I was working as a contractor when my redundancy was calculated.

Every scheme is different, but the odds are that you would just be offered the 3 years. You could always try to negotiate.

Are you just being offered statutory redundancy or is there an ex gratia payment also?
If the payment terms the company are offering are better than statutory it would dilute your case. If they are only offering statutory then certainly you would have a case to be paid for the full term.

Back