Am I entitled to JSA?

Lulu123

I was due to return to work in June after maternity leave and unpaid leave however my current salary wont cover the creche fees I would be paying for my 2 children.

I have since handed in my notice but am wondering will I be entitled to JSA. I would like to find a job that at least pays me something after I pay the creche fees (not easy in this climate I know)

I have worked for 12 years so would have the PRSI contributions but was wondering because I left my job would they still pay me JSA.

If they decide you have 2 kids you might not be entitled to anything if you are not genuinely seeking employment. If you are single you may be entitled to one parent family allowance.

Otherwise, if you are job seeking the welfare officer may decide an exclusion period of up to 9 week (because you left your last job.) One of the problems, the welfare officer will write to your previous employer asking the reason you left and whether they would be willing to take you back.

It seems to me you are not available for work, but this is a decision for the welfare officer.

The reason I left is that I would have been paying 140euro per month for the privilege of working and sending my children to creche. My employer knows this but was not in a position to increase my salary so therefore leaving was my only option.
I am available for work (albeit a slightly higher salary) but I am hopeful that I will find something.

Am glad you are not a welfare officer techni-fan ;-)

I'm just saying how they might see it.

Technically, if you were offered a job at minimum wage or a course with Fas and refused to take it you would have no entitlement to the dole.
So maybe you should change your story before making an application for social welfare.

I'm not saying the current situation is fair. childcare should be an allowance expense against income tax.

Point taken techni-fan, thanks for that.
You are right I need to have a think about things before I go in to see them.

Back