Am I being overcharged for plumbing job???Need advice

We got a plumber out to look at our washing machine recently. It broke down and repeatedlt stops mid-cycle.
The plumber spent at most 5 minutes looking at it and said it wasn't worth fixing. Best get a new one.

And charged €60 call out charge.
:(
How long did it take him to get to you? Do you not feel he should be paid for his time? How much does keeping the business afloat cost him in transport, tools, insurance, etc..

TinyChamp said:
We got a plumber out to look at our washing machine recently. It broke down and repeatedlt stops mid-cycle.
The plumber spent at most 5 minutes looking at it and said it wasn't worth fixing. Best get a new one.

Hi TinyChamp,
A plumber might simply install the washing machine by fitting valves, but saying you got him to look at it with a view to fixing it is not what a plumber does. You need a technician for this job, bit like a mechanic for cars but certainly not a plumber.

Colour me confused ?
That post if from 2009!!

That was a time before the introduction of the 'Like' button where people used to quote an entire previous post and just add the word 'Like'. That just resulted in clutter and made threads more difficult to read.

TinyChamp said:

Hi TinyChamp,
A plumber might simply install the washing machine by fitting valves, but saying you got him to look at it with a view to fixing it is not what a plumber does. You need a technician for this job, bit like a mechanic for cars but certainly not a plumber.
Yeah, it was a plumber all right, not a technician. Didn;t know there were washing machine technicians available for call outs.

Leo, i understand we all need to get paid, but €60 seems steep for the amount of time/ work put in.
That's up there with a doctor.

Yeah, it was a plumber all right, not a technician. Didn;t know there were washing machine technicians available for call outs.

Leo, i understand we all need to get paid, but €60 seems steep for the amount of time/ work put in.
Hardly. Doctors charge a multiple of €60 for callouts. If you can even get one to come to you, that is.

You didn't say where they were coming from or where their next job was, so can't really comment on the time put in.

It looks like you actually found one of the cheaper ones, most charge more!!

Hardly. Doctors charge a multiple of €60 for callouts. If you can even get one to come to you, that is.
A doctor is more highly qualified than a plumber to be fair.

Leo - yeah, i take that point on board. He has to travel from previous to next job, so the money could be covering an hour allt hings added up. :cool:

Reactions: Leo
Back