Alternatives to a "traditional" wedding

It would be interesting to know what sort of criteria the HSE will be using when 'inspecting' new locations!! I'm not sure I see the link between a location for getting married and the HSE...

OP, would you consider as mentioned above, having a small wedding in total in Ireland . For example approx 50 closest family & friends. Thats 25 people each and look into small venues/ restaurants that will let you book for exclusive use for the day. That way you can use use the old 'oh we wish we could have evryone but the venue just doesn't cater for it...........' excuse.
It really has to be all or nothing i.e. limit it to just family, or invite all our family and friends. We could probably knock maybe 30 or 40 off the list, but the remainder of the list is made up of our families, his group of friends and my group of friends. That's why I think if we say it's close family only, no one will/can get offended. I suppose what we are really looking for is how to make the "afters" not look like a cheap affair, and how to make it fun for everyone - thanks to TDON for your comments. Completely agree about the vegetarian options!

That's bizaare (the HSE inpsection). I was told of someone who got married in a hotel recently, wonder if it's legal?

some counties have their registry office in a hotel, so maybe that was the case.

The reason the HSE have to inspect venues is because, for some unknown reason, the Registrar (and civil weddings) fall within the remit of the HSE.

But why does anybody have to inspect anything? To make sure it exists?

The case I referred to was that someone had excercised their rights to get married anywhere by getting married in a hotel, so I assumed that the legislation was in force, which doesn't seem to be the case.

But why does anybody have to inspect anything? To make sure it exists?
Maybe to ensure that it's safe to cater for groups of people - e.g. fire safety, adequate toilet/acceident/emergency facilities etc.?

I believe the 'Humanist Society' are very popular for the Ceremony side of things also. They do a nice non-religious option.

BM

I guess that's one explanation-but does this apply specifically to weddings, or does it also apply to birthday parties etc. e.g. the sort of gatherings that are normally held in private residences?

I guess that's one explanation-but does this apply specifically to weddings, or does it also apply to birthday parties etc. e.g. the sort of gatherings that are normally held in private residences?

The Registrar is not required to attend birthday parties and the legislation on the suitable venues sets certain standards (public access and the like) and so the venues have to be approved.

I cant remember the details, but when the legislation was originally announced, they made very clear that some venues would not be accepted and the inspection is to check that the venue meets the guidelines which will be in place. They really meant anything tacky like football pitches and skydiving would not be acceptable.

I do not get the big irish wedding thing. 2 Friends of mine just got married in Italy this week, just the 2 of them and 2 witnesses. There was only minimal trouble organising it and no hint of bridezilla moments.
I personally love it when there is a clash of dates with a wedding I have been invited to and another commitment. Big and flouncy weddings are quite dull for many of the guests.
Go do your own thing, enjoy the time you have together when you get married, and dont worry about people who want you to pay for a big day out for them.
[broken link removed]
here is some information from the irish humanist movement on ceremonies.

Like a lot of people nowadays we wanted a small wedding (only 35 people + us).

We originally though of going to our favourite place in the US and flying over just our parents. However in the end we decided on a small village in Kerry. We have reserved a small resturaunt for the day and our families are staying locally in holiday homes for the week of the wedding. (not all 35 mind you!!).

Everyone I have spoken to since about it thinks its the best idea. Our complete wedding will cost less than the price of a reception in any hotel. and it will be more meaningful for us and our families.

Assuming everything goes to plan we will be married in 7 weeks!! We are not stressed and most of our family are looking forward to the breakaway as much as the wedding itself!!

Go to Vegas, been there and done it, best decision we ever made 30+ family and friends came with us.

My idea would be to have family only at the church, have a really nice meal with just family again, and then have a big party that evening, much like an afters, with all our friends and family.
We had a simple church wedding followed by a meal in the restaurant of a local hotel, which was very nice, before retiring for the evening to the bar for plenty of Guinness and song.

Only immediate family and a few close friends attended (36); the priest was a friend of mine; there was no video or photographer to get in the way or annoy guests (we got copies of the best photos that guests took); no band or DJ just ballads and banter; my wife did the Mass books, no invites as we spoke to those involved 2 weeks before; the rings didn't cost a fortune nor did we go to Antwerp:); my wife's brother drove her to the church in his perfectly good car; my wife's mother made the dresses for the bride and bridesmaid; myself and the Best Man wore normal suits; don't think there was much spent on flowers but the church happened to be bedecked in flowers from a wedding the previous day. Didn't bother with any party/afters. We had a great day and it was stress free . . and if we had it do do over again we'd do the same.

We originally set out to do the lunch for family only and then the party afterwards, but in the end decided have everyone to a more informal kind of reception. We only had 75 people, but we did the church thing then went to the upstairs function room of the Harbourmaster, friends and family did the table decorations, flowers etc. We had a simple buffet - choice of 2 hot dishes plus salads, and a dessert and the chocolate wedding cake was another dessert. With wine at the dinner and one drink for everyone for the toast it came out at just over 3k for the whole reception (including a wine reception when people came in). We had a couple of musicians while people came in and then a disco after the food (no sitting around waiting for the crappy band to be over). We banned our parents from inviting people we hardly knew who they 'owed' a wedding to. If you are paying for it yourself do it your own way, if your folks have budgeted for it and are helping you pay for it - just spend the money and have the big day - you're worth it!!

Back