Alternative to Ulster Bank ROI for non-resident Euro Account?

Pearl

I have had a personal Ulster Bank ROI account for the past 20 years. I moved to Northern Ireland a few years ago, but continue to work in ROI.

If/When Ulster Bank pull out of ROI, what are my options for opening a new ROI Euro account as a resident of NI? I would like to open both a current account and a savings account if possible.

I really like the UB app, and have always liked the fact that I can flick over from the UB ROI app to the UB UK app with a consistent UI experience. I'm really not liking the idea of switching now and losing a 20-year transaction history, and the faff with direct debits etc. I have a Revolut Euro and GBP account, but I use it for currency exchange only.

Thanks,

Pearl

As a non resident you will struggle to open an account a ROI EUR account. But why does it have to be a ROI account?

Why not use your Revolut current account? or N26? or Monese?

I am a bit nervous about having salary paid in and direct debits paid out of Revolut. Maybe there's no logic to feeling that way? I think BOI allow non residents to open an account. I'll have to investigate.

I have it in my mind that BOI, and maybe AIB, will allow non residents open an account. However, I've no idea if Brexit has impacted on this - there used to be a criteria that you were an EU Resident.
It's more straight forward if you are able to present yourself at a branch to open it in person.

Presenting at a branch would be no problem. I'll investigate. Thank you.

So I thought I would update you all on the saga that has been my attempting to open a current account with AIB as replacement to my Ulster Bank account. I am living in Northern Ireland (slap bang on border) and working in the South. I have made *4* trips to the bank in person with various documents - each time being told something different to what I was told by the person before. All of that got squared away, but they are now telling me I cannot open an account without a National Insurance Number - something you only get from the U.K. if you are looking for work or claiming benefits, neither of which apply. The application form says "Please provide a TRN for each jurisdiction in which you are tax resident unless you are tax resident in a jurisdiction that does not issue a TRN." - then there is space below for you to put three "Jurisdictions of Tax Residence" plus the associated TRN number. I had put down tax residency country as Ireland and put my PPS number. That's not enough. They want a National Insurance Number. I called the National Insurance Number helpline - they said I won't get a number unless I am looking for work. AIB are saying they cannot open an account for me without a NIN. The National Insurance Number processing places are all closed to applications due to Covid as they require face to face verification of identity. So I will have to wait until they are up and running again, lie to them to say I am looking for work in NI, get a number, then reapply to AIB. Border living is complicated.

Back