Health Insurance Alternative to simplicity by Laya

rum and black

Hi. We are a couple early to mid sixties . Our policy is due for renewal on 1st February. The policy is Laya Simplicity coming in at 3070.92 for 2 adults.
Whilst I am aware the policy is pretty good it is gone up quite a bit over the last 2 years.
Hospitals I would be interested in are in Dublin. Also may need cover for hip or knee replacement going forward.
Any useful tips for cheaper policies which are more or less comparable would be appreciated.

Firstly call Laya & ask them to explain it all to you. Ask about co-pay amount for things like hip etc. We’re with Irish Life & important to know that there’s a 2 year period which you have to wait before you can claim once you’ve added their orthopedic plan. We worked out that it was going to cost about 3k extra per year to add this, but without it, the co-pay was capped at 2k - so clearly no business case to add this to our plan - if either of us needs hip replacement we just pay the 2k when it’s needed.
The other thing I’d say is call Irish Life & VHI & have the same conversations with them & ask them to send you quotes for comparable plan benefits.

Last edited:
Hi. We are a couple early to mid sixties . Our policy is due for renewal on 1st February. The policy is Laya Simplicity coming in at 3070.92 for 2 adults.
Whilst I am aware the policy is pretty good it is gone up quite a bit over the last 2 years.
Hospitals I would be interested in are in Dublin. Also may need cover for hip or knee replacement going forward.
Any useful tips for cheaper policies which are more or less comparable would be appreciated.

Hi rum and black,

The following plans from LAYA come in cheaper than Simplicity and all cover orthopaedics. No excess applies to 5 orthopaedic procedures (hip and knee replacement) in 12 private hospitals

1. Control 300 Create at €1251
2 Simply Connect at €1301
3. Connect Simplicity at € 1360
4. Simply Connect Plus at € 1406

Control 300 Connect and Connect Simplicity cover a private room in a private hospital while the other two cover up to a semi-private room in private hospitals.

The inpatient excess in a private hospital is €300 per claim on the Control 300 Create plan. The excess is €150 on the three other plans.

There is a €1 excess on everyday expenses on all these plans.

For the sake of taking a small increase in excesses these plans offer good value compared to €1535 for Simplicity.

I hope this is helpful

Thank You Riomhaire and Banchang. I will ring the companies and also compare plans mentioned. Thanks again for your help.

Thank You Riomhaire and Banchang. I will ring the companies and also compare plans mentioned. Thanks again for your help.
PS

We spoke to an advisor from Cornmarket today (as our renewal is soon also) & he said that the co-pay for orthopaedic procedures is frequently waived if you were prepared to have the procedure done in a different hospital which they have better arrangements with - which I wouldn't have any real problem with.

Thank you for this info. In fact in the last day or so my union has offered a webinar tomorrow through Cornmarket with Dermot Goode which I intend to participate in. Thanks again. These policies are like a minefield.

Hi rum and black,

The following plans from LAYA come in cheaper than Simplicity and all cover orthopaedics. No excess applies to 5 orthopaedic procedures (hip and knee replacement) in 12 private hospitals

1. Control 300 Create at €1251
2 Simply Connect at €1301
3. Connect Simplicity at € 1360
4. Simply Connect Plus at € 1406

Control 300 Connect and Connect Simplicity cover a private room in a private hospital while the other two cover up to a semi-private room in private hospitals.

The inpatient excess in a private hospital is €300 per claim on the Control 300 Create plan. The excess is €150 on the three other plans.

There is a €1 excess on everyday expenses on all these plans.

For the sake of taking a small increase in excesses these plans offer good value compared to €1535 for Simplicity.

I hope this is helpful

any help on laya simplicity 2 people 70 yrs wondering about connect simplicity . 800 spent about on consultants and physio. higher excess
a worry . like private room. thanks

any help on laya simplicity 2 people 70 yrs wondering about connect simplicity . 800 spent about on consultants and physio. higher excess
a worry . like private room. thanks

Hi Molly 123,

Currently Simplicity is costing €1535 per annum as opposed to €1415 for Connect Simplicity. There is a price increase due on 01/11/21 for Connect Simplicity bringing it to €1465 for the year.

The major difference between these two policies is the Annual out-patient excess. €1 in the case of Connect Simplicity as opposed to €200 family excess for Simplicity. Effectively this means that you would have to have a spend of €400 on everyday expenses before you could claim back anything on the Simplicity plan whereas you can claim back 50% of all everyday expenses over €1 with Connect Simplicity
All benefits are subject to a €1,000 out-patient cap per member unless specified otherwise. Subject to minimum benefits. Please note that should you not reach your €1,000 out-patient cap the remainder is transferrable to other members on the policy who are on the Connect Simplicity product.

If your renewal is before the 01/11/21 the annual saving of two people is €240 on the premium alone. Add to that the saving of €200 on the Family excess which means that for taking on a small increase of €50 on the excess for inpatient claims the saving for two people is about €440.

Connect Simplicity is definitely worth consideration is these circumstances.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Hi Molly 123,

Currently Simplicity is costing €1535 per annum as opposed to €1415 for Connect Simplicity. There is a price increase due on 01/11/21 for Connect Simplicity bringing it to €1465 for the year.

The major difference between these two policies is the Annual out-patient excess. €1 in the case of Connect Simplicity as opposed to €200 family excess for Simplicity. Effectively this means that you would have to have a spend of €400 on everyday expenses before you could claim back anything on the Simplicity plan whereas you can claim back 50% of all everyday expenses over €1 with Connect Simplicity
All benefits are subject to a €1,000 out-patient cap per member unless specified otherwise. Subject to minimum benefits. Please note that should you not reach your €1,000 out-patient cap the remainder is transferrable to other members on the policy who are on the Connect Simplicity product.

If your renewal is before the 01/11/21 the annual saving of two people is €240 on the premium alone. Add to that the saving of €200 on the Family excess which means that for taking on a small increase of €50 on the excess for inpatient claims the saving for two people is about €440.

Connect Simplicity is definitely worth consideration is these circumstances.

I hope this is helpful.
t

Back