Alfa Romeo - Reliability

Had a few alfas in my time, once they get to a certain age, problems have usually been rectified by warranty or previous owners so they are not a bad buy secondhand, although a friend of mine has had a few 156's and some were very reliable and others were terrible.
147's seem to have a good reliability record compared to other alfas and the 166 seems to be very reliable too and they can be bought for peanuts, parts can be pricy though.
They are much more of a pleasure to drive then all others cars I owned as long as you can put up with the lack of care of how they are built etc. Italians can design but not build imho.
The engine, chassis and shape are why you would buy an ALFA. I would not buy one to use day to day, only weekends with the biggest engine possible.

From memory, I didn't think most recent alfa had that great a chassis going on car reviews of same. Most reviews I've read liked the engines and the style but never remarked much about the chassis or handling as being anything special.

Back