Aldi Reciepts Scam

A

ajapale

Has anyone come across this scam?

I visited my local Aldi store and was confronted by a large poster (from Aldi) warning their customers not to give their receipts to anyone. And instead to report anyone who approaches you looking for Aldi Receipts.

I know that Lidl receipts print the full laser number and expiry date? Is it something to do with this?

ajapale

I've seen the posters all right but I don't know what the scam is all about. I know what I'd say to somebody if they asked me for my receipt!

Hmm, interesting. I saw this happening back in November but assumed it was legit.

I spent a few minutes trying to get a trolley outside Lidl in Coolock and there was a guy asking people how many items they had bought while in Lidl. He said they were doing a survey, but I didn't catch who 'they' were.

I did think it strange at the time since I would have thought the easiest way to work this out was to check the POS system - surely it reports this kind of information.

Since the guy was just outside the door (less than 10 meters) I assumed this was at least approved by Lidl. I did notice some guy coming out who was too busy to stop, blah, blah, blah and who gave the guy his whole receipt and said he could get the number off there . . . while he continued on to his car in a hurry.

Cunning trick.

Presumably it caught a few people out.

z

I'd guess there is fairly fierce price competion & sensitivity in these markets nowadays - Could it be one of the competitors looking to check prices?

Why would they not simply enter the store and browse the prices if they wanted to know them? Given the prominently displayed posters in many Aldi stores I presume that there was something nefarious involved here but I'm not sure what. Perhaps, as mentioned earlier, it was an attempt to collect Laser card numbers or something like that?

What I suspect is happening is that they take your receipt back into the shop, pick up another of the most valuable items on your receipt, bring it to the Cashier and look for a refund.

Both ALDI and LIDL give out no quibble refunds.

Murt

just possibly another slant We all know that Newry was overrun by Dubs before Christmas but Sainsburys got hit for about £60,000 stg by customers paying for a trolley of mostly drink and passing the receipt on to a mate in the store who had an identical trolley. when they second customer headed for the door without going through the checkout desks they produced the first customers receipt which of course was exactly the same as their own and contained at least one 'odd purchase' just make it look really legit. Sainsburys had to take in English security staff in the last week before Christmas to stop this scam but obviously a little late

Back