Albany Homes.......help?

B

Bertibabe

Hi,
I have just recently purchased a new house in Swords...the problem is the builders have put in a window where the patio door should be and a patio door where the front window should be!!!! Totally different to the plans and it doesnt look right at all!!! When I approached the forewoman about it she casually mentioned "it will get sorted!"!!!!! Two months later and it still hasnt been fixed!!! They are a complete disaster...has anyone had any kinds of dealings with them similiar to mine???

Does your contract specify that the house must be as per the plans ? If so, you could mention to them that they are in breach of contract. Do you owe them any money ? You could withhold the balance until they 'get it sorted'.

Your solicitor should advise you about the builders obligations under the contract.

We had dealings with them a few years ago. They were useless when it came to the final details - though your problem is far more than that. Just make yourself a permanent pain in the ass for the foreman on site and write letters to head office; they need to get the message that you will not go away.

Have you moved in yet?

One bit of advice I got from a friend in the building game/racket was to always remember that the developer wants your money - and wants it badly. Everyday that you delay completion adds interest to the loans they took out against the development. We were due to move in two weeks before the builders holidays and had given notice to the landlord we were renting from. Sure enough the builders had done nothing on the snag list - lights in the wrong place, wallpaper that had bubbles and tears. So we just refused to complete - they threatened legal action so we said go ahead. The foreman said we would have to wait until after the hols; fine by us. What about your landlord, we've got covered. How nice of him to be so concerned about us!

The long and the short of it is, two weeks later everything was done - new wallpaper included.

Remember if you don't complete the foreman has to explain why to the developer. The buyer does have power, it's just that builders are very good a making you feel otherwise!

I live in the same estate that I think you are talking about - Don't pay until the job is done - once they have your money they won't even answer the phone to you. I found the foremen quite useless to be honest, I still have snag list items to finish 18 month down the line. YOu have to go and chase them round the site to get anything done and don't even bother leaving a message at the site office, it will end up in the bin.

albany homes, gorse hill

Can anyone tell me if a builder can change the layout of an apartments bathrooms i.e they've put a bath in the ensuite and just a shower unit in the main bathroom. Also, theres now a wall where the plans had an archway, this leaves no natural light for the kitchen. I've heard these builders have a bad reputation but is this something that frequently happens in house builds? Thanks in advance for any replies.

We got our patio doors opening into the kitchen instead of out into the yard. But have no comeback as didnt specify in contract that they would open out, just assumed common sense would prevail.

How naive of us

Getting excited now though, :D should complete in less than week

Back