Airline food

Re: pre-booking

I always bring my own food. Baguette with sausages and bbq sauce. I've never had problems with any airlines, I've seen other passenger staring enviously though!

Re: pre-booking

Some airlines do let you pre book meals e.g.

However this is not quite the same thing as Aer Lingus economy class and you are certainly paying for this privilege :)

bought my own alcholic drink in duty free and had about 2 with their dinner. Then the air hostess announced that its an 'offence' to drink your own alcholic drink, even if purchased in duty free. Went through all their rules and could not see this ?

Was going to mention this to them but checked their website also and could not see this ??

Drinking your duty-free

I'm sure I've seen notices saying that "duty-free goods must be exported intact in their original containers".

And for this purpose, I'd say landing at your destination is the point at which goods are exported, not when you fly over the 12-mile limit ( as the plane may have to turn back or divert etc)

I'm sure I've also seen safety notices from the airlines claiming that if you can only drink what they sell you, it's easier to control the state you may get into.

None of which, I'm sure, has anything to do with the fact that the airlines don't make money off your duty-free. ;)

drink...

I saw many a publican make similar claims when I was a student but did that deter anyone from bringing a naggin in their handbag???

I can understand why the cabin crew don't want everyone on board having a bring your own party when presumably they get commission on what they sell. I have no intention of bringing any alcohol on a long haul flight anyway, for the sake of 24 hours in the sky, I am willing to try cold turkey (and not just in my sambos)

I will bring my own food on board in Dublin, but is there a chance this will get confiscated when I land in Frankfurt? (5 hour stopover ahead of 12 hour flight to Singapore where I have a 2 hour stopover and subsequent 6 hour flight to Perth where I land at 12 midnight local time and haven't a clue where the best chippers are)

Re: drink...

Sinead, arriving from Dublin and departing to Singapore you won't have to go through customs in Frankfurt (you'll stay in the non-Schengen zone) ... so nobody will confiscate your food.

They will feed you relatively well on the other flights though so I wouldn't be too concerned about having to bring a lunchbox ... if you get peckish too outside of meal times most of the airlines will leave out sandwiches/choccie bars in the Galley on very long flights

Back