Air bag red light is back after mechanic fixed it (or did he?)

eggerb

Had my car in with a local garage for a service a few weeks ago and asked him to look at the air bags as the air bag light was on. He billed me about €50 for "air bag wiring" or something like that. Four weeks later the air bag light is on again and I'm wondering if he actually did fix anything or did he just use the diagnostics equipment to turn off the error code. Any thoughts anybody?

Its one of those intermittent faults that may be wiring, a switch, a sensor or may even be a control module. Whatever it is he will probably need to use the diagnostic computer to reset the error again after he has chased down and fixed the problem. Is the car under warranty?

These can be a pain to chase down,

Lots of stuff related to the airbag light, all airbags obviuosly the seatbelt tensioners as well, if there is an active safety in head rests and problems here can kick up the airbag light.

Intermittent faults can be a nightmare to trace, especially if all looks good on the computer when you go in.

i'd still go back and ask what was the fault, what was done to rectify it and if its still fixed...

i'd still go back and ask what was the fault, what was done to rectify it and if its still fixed...

Yeah - just what I was reckoning. Dropped into him and he told me "you paid me to turn off the light"!! Hello? I paid him to fix the problem!!!

One of the other mechanics gave me the error code showing up now "side airbag igniter drivers side N199 - sporadic value of resistance too small"

I asked the owner if he had a record of the previous message and he didn't. He's telling they fixed the previous problem but that's not the way it seems to be. It seems as if they reset the waning light last time and are looking to get paid for fixing the same problem again!!

Back