AIB won't give me information over the phone and I don't have internet banking

Those who say 'why don't you have internet banking', well, I had my mortgage transferred to AIB 3 weeks ago.

AIB have already generated drama with an overcharge on the first mortgage payment; they have failed to tell me what the sort code of the mortgage is so I can complain formally about this (had to ring to demand it), along with what the transfer amount was (ditto), and so on.

I did ask whether I could see the account balance, online, as I could previously with my UB mortgage. They said, sure, if I opened a current account with them, and made the mortgage payments through them, then I could and it would be AIB-fee free.

But it wouldn't be free of the numerous government charges that are levied...which in the case of my Permanent TSB account, are absorbed by the bank.

I never had a requirement to open a current account with Ulster Bank, in order to see my mortgage balance online.

So to get online access, it will still cost me money. The bank might claim they don't charge, regardless, it will still cost me money to do something, the way AIB want me to do it, simply because they can, and to do so I will be forced into a banking relationship I frankly do not want to have (it isn't a choice when the options are do what AIB want and take the negative consequences because I 'agreed' to them, or not do what they want and take the negative consequences)

Making a formal complaint, which I know will however get me absolutely nowhere, because they don't care and the regulator won't care either. But it will cost them money...which is the only thing they understand or care about.

If you open a demand deposit account with AIB you should then get internet banking without charges, and you should be able to add your mortgage account to your internet banking.

The only "charges from the government" are stamp duties on cards and cheques and I don't think that you have to take or use any of these in order to use a current account.

So happened I set up a couple of AIB accounts for family members recently. While I think mobile banking is great. I think the whole process of authentication is convoluted and drawn out. I'm not convinced it's foolproof. Took considerably more time than you'd expect.

Also broke my phone while on holiday earlier in the year and hadn't a card reader with me to authenticate some things in setting up the backup phone I switched to. So it can catch you out.

Back