AIB AIB: "Not everyone who got €1,615 will be included in the new redress scheme."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shano1975

Have aib sent a letter to everyone regarding this payment? When I called the helpline today they ask the question if you have or have not received a letter. Press 1 if you have and 2 if you haven't. Also from speaking to the guy on the phone he could neither confirm or deny my mortgage account was included. He said every mortgage would be reviewed individually what ever that means. So none the wiser.

Did you receive a letter back in March 2017 enclosing cheque for €1615?

If you did, you are part of this group of circa 5900 affected customers.

That's the letter their phone instructions are referring to I think.

Did you receive a letter back in March 2017 enclosing cheque for €1615?

If you did, you are part of this group of circa 5900 affected customers.

That's the letter their phone instructions are referring to I think.
I received the letter but according to the guy on the phone this does not mean I'm part of the cohort. They won't be able to confirm that until July.

I received the letter but according to the guy on the phone this does not mean I'm part of the cohort. They won't be able to confirm that until July.

I just spoke to them on the phone and they confirmed I am being redressed, there does seem to be confusion out there.

Hi there,
I rang there to see if I was included/what information was being provided.
He explained that while people may have gotten a letter, it does not mean they are getting any further payment.
What it does mean apparently is that you are included in the review, which is happening at the moment. Each account is being looked at separately and examined to see if they are entitled to a payment.
(One would have thought that this process would have been conducted at an earlier stage when they sent the cheque)
I was told that people would be contacted in July or August.
The advice from Brendan about the three criteria seems to be the best way of establishing the position.
The spreadsheet provided by another user here seems to be a quick way to make the calculation.

Hi there,
He explained that while people may have gotten a letter, it does not mean they are getting any further payment.
What it does mean apparently is that you are included in the review, which is happening at the moment. Each account is being looked at separately and examined to see if they are entitled to a payment.
(One would have thought that this process would have been conducted at an earlier stage when they sent the cheque)
The advice from Brendan about the three criteria seems to be the best way of establishing the position.
The spreadsheet provided by another user here seems to be a quick way to make the calculation.
I rang too! Spoke to a guy, he said the exact same thing! I was told a few weeks ago about the 12% write off but this guy would not say if we would be getting anything. Said the same about letter etc

The helpline is anything but helpful. All they will say now is your part of the review. Its a change to what they were saying a few weeks ago. "Putting the customer first".

Hi there,

Hi - my understanding was that if you got the letter you were part of the cohort to receive compensation, I understand they need to review each account separately to determine what the compensation will be, however what are the circumstances that they can say which will result in you not being entitled to compensation. I just called the helpline and they said the Ombudsman made the decision on one case (Karen) which had very complex issues, I would really like to get some form of understanding of what these complex issues were to get a better view would these apply in other cases.

I just called the helpline and they said the Ombudsman made the decision on one case (Karen) which had very complex issues, I would really like to get some form of understanding of what these complex issues were to get a better view would these apply in other cases.
I'm pretty sure Brendan chose Karens case as the one to take to the FSPO as it was bog standard, no arrears and had no special or complex circumstances so that it would be very hard for AIB to argue it should not apply to the entire cohort.

Gunner is correct.

Karen was chosen as she was so simple and therefore a successful complaint would apply to everyone else in the cohort.

They have made a provision for €300m and I think that they have said that 5,907 people are affected.

The only complex issues are people who deserve more than Karen because they suffered more due to arrears, loss of their home, etc.

But if anyone has the following circumstances, they should be in the group:

Started on a fixed rate
Had clause 3.2 in their contract
Came out of the fixed rate after October 2008
And were not offered a tracker rate.

If you received €1,615, it strongly indicates that you were in that group. I don't think that they paid the €1,615 for anything else.

AIB has handled this extremely badly and have tried to escape from paying out. So maybe they will try another trick on some customers.

The Ombudsman would be annoyed with any messing and stupid as they are, AIB must realise this.

Brendan

Gunner is correct.

Karen was chosen as she was so simple and therefore a successful complaint would apply to everyone else in the cohort.

They have made a provision for €300m and I think that they have said that 5,907 people are affected.

The only complex issues are people who deserve more than Karen because they suffered more due to arrears, loss of their home, etc.

But if anyone has the following circumstances, they should be in the group:

Started on a fixed rate
Had clause 3.2 in their contract
Came out of the fixed rate after October 2008
And were not offered a tracker rate.

If you received €1,615, it strongly indicates that you were in that group. I don't think that they paid the €1,615 for anything else.

AIB has handled this extremely badly and have tried to escape from paying out. So maybe they will try another trick on some customers.

The Ombudsman would be annoyed with any messing and stupid as they are, AIB must realise this.

Brendan
Thanks both, yes I received the letter and 1,615, and I tick all of the above boxes. No arrears, no special circumstances. Yes my concern would be they attempt some convoluted reason as to why certain cases are not in scope, time will tell.

Also possible that AIB don’t want thousands of people going around saying ‘I’m going to get 30k off AIB’ so by giving these answers on the helpline people will think they had better not say anything in case they get nothing

I have reflected on this a bit more.

I cannot envisage any circumstances where someone who met these criteria would not succeed with a complaint to the Ombudsman to get the same redress as Karen.

If you do not meet the three criteria, then you will not be in the cohort. You should not have received a cheque for €1,615.

I think that the delay is that they must be offering more "standard" compensation to people who suffered more than Karen. Karen was never in arrears. But if you were in arrears, then it's likely that the Ombudsman would have awarded you more compensation. And if you lost your house, you would have got more again.

Then split mortgages complicate the issue as well. I have no idea how they propose to resolve them.

So the helpline has probably been told not to tell people anything other than they are in the review.

Most people will be offered the 12% write down and interest on that.
Anyone who was in arrears should/might be offered a different "standard" offer.
And anyone who lost their house should be offered a different package altogether.

Brendan

So the helpline has probably been told not to tell people anything other than they are in the review.

Brendan

But havent they started to tell people who got the cheque that "you are not included in this review" , thats what it sounds like from some comments here anyway

Hi coolaboola

There are so many comments here that I might have missed that. Can you provide a link to the post where someone claims that?

I went though the posts on this topic and moved them to this separate thread, but I did not notice that one.

Someone did say that they got the cheque but didn't have clause 3.2. It turned out that they probably did have clause 3.2, it's just that the schedule containing it was not sent to them.

Brendan

not sure how to link but if you look on the other thread , i see these

"
I also just spoke to someone from the helpline.
He advised that not all people who recieved the 1615 in 2018 were included and that they were drawing up a list of those who would be ineligible.

I asked if there were any particular criteria for people not be included and he replied that there absolutely is but that he was not aware of what exactly it was. "

and

"
Please help, should I pursue or not?

I got a cheque for €1615 in 2018. I rang the helpline and they said that I was not eligible for this review. They told me that I had different terms and conditions and at a different time than the ones being reviewed now. "

So my question is if these people had 3.2 and they must have had as they got the cheque then how are they being told they are not eligble ?

Thanks Coolaboola

I had not realised that there was a separate thread already on it. I see that i have answered it.

Brendan

On the top right hand side of a post,there is a number e.g. #19

Right click on that and you get

Click on Copy LInk address and it is copied into your clipboard

Right click in the post where you want to put the link

Press paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back