AH 3 years ago: Non stop abuse & antisocial behaviour. Can we sell back to council?

Sch3cter

Hi Guys,

We bought our affordable home about 3 years ago.

Since we moved in we've had nearly non stop abuse and anti social behaviour which both the Gardai and the CoCo have a record of. We have written to Councillors and the Council themselves trying to get out of here.

The last letter we got was about a year ago from the head of the housing dept in to Co Co saying she'd received our letter and will get back to us but she never did. We wrote again and got no reply.

At the moment we barely live in here because we can't stand being here any more due to all the abuse we've had. We spend whole weeks away living in my parents in-laws house. In fact in December we stayed with them for a month because we could bare to come back here.

We were going to sell but we are in negative equity so we'll be thousands short of clearing the mortgage but at least there is no claw back due to the negative equity.

We were even thinking of renting out our house but not sure if the council will allow this or if they've even anyway of checking?

But my main question is this. Can we sell our house back to the council? Our mortgage on the house is with the council so we'll basically be calling it quits and they'll be gaining a house with all the flooring we've put in etc.

Thanks,
Sch3c

Has anyone any idea on this? The council aren't answering the phone or replying to letters or emails.

Thanks
Sch3c,

PS thank you to who ever changed the title... sorry i didn't realise.

Sch3cter
There are tons on discussions on AH on this topic. Take a look through them.

In short the answer is no, its not social housing where you could potentially get transferred. AH is private housing. The only way out is to sell. (horrible I know) but do read through the affordable housing thread.
Emails, phonecalls letters etcc..... fall on deaf ears. You have to go into them, even at that you might be lucky to get the answers you need.
You might some comofort in the knowledge that you are not the only one. There are lots of people who want out for various reasons.

Back