Agreement when cohabiting

Marty2019

Hello,

I am living with my girlfriend in her house. We both pay regular and lump sums off the mortgage. Is there an agreement we can get wrote up in case things don't work out? At the moment it seems I have no rights. All I'd be looking for is whatever I put in to be paid out.

We were told previously that a deed of covenant could be used in this situation but when I spoke to a solicitor they said no as it would be a breach of the mortgage terms.

I think you are correct in trying to get some legal agreement in place but you have to remember that your girlfriend had put a lot more than you into the house. I imagine she paid a deposit bought furniture etc would it be possible to draw up a legal agreement between the two of you agreeing that whatever lump sums you paid would be refunded inthe event of a breakup. It doesn’t sound very romantic but it would acknowledge your contributions .

Why not stop any lump sums and use the mortgage part as just rental for now.

We are lucky that we are doing quite well financially at the moment so it makes sense to me at least to pay off as much of the debt as possible as opposed to keeping it on deposit. Surely you can try and build a future with someone and protect your interests at the same time.

Can you taking advantage of a tax break paying extra into pension seeing ye are doing quite well financially at the moment,

Don't get caught up on paying off mortgage as the only long term plan it is not very well thought out ,( putting all of your eggs in one basket is not good advice)

Pension tax break if you can take advantage of it is a very good way to invest long term,

Last edited:
Hello,

To my mind, albeit are paying rent/mortgage.. you are investing in your girlfriends property...

Say If you were just house mates / in a non romantic relationship would you still be willing to paying off your house mates mortgage? Probably not.. your name is not on the deeds..

To me, just agree a fair rent and pay that ( if you are unlucky enough to break up - it’s just rent) save what you can for a property (if you like) and invest together if that’s the way the relationship progresses.

My 2 cent!!

I see the solicitor's point about a possible breach of mortgage conditions.

I would imagine that in the event of a break up that turns acrimonious OP's primary argument for any refunds would be based on equitable contribution towards the servicing of the mortgage and anything else that might constitute enhancement of the property less a valuation on own living costs.

Following on from the above it would be important that OP has an actual verifiable evidence trail to prove what was paid to whom and when. The downside is you would need to be able to offer decent proof of the purposes for which the funds were paid given that OP is not paying funds directly to the mortgagee.