Aggregate Inheritance?

alowemurphy

Can someone help please.

My father inherited from an aunt a few years ago, to the threshold limit of inheritance for an aunt, so lets say he inherited €30k.

Now, he's just inherited €17k from a non-relative (brother-in-law, not blood related).

What I'm wondering is .....
* can he take a €3k gift off the €17k leaving it at €14k inheritance which is below the threshold? (the 3k been the amount that someone can gift you without having to pay anything on it.)
* As this is a new relative, and one that doesn't fall into the category of aunt/uncle, etc. does the 30k count towards this inheritance, and there-fore he has to pay tax on the full amount, and not just the 17k-15k allowance? Does the inheritance balance aggregate no matter what relative of category it comes from? I'm thinking not, as if you inherited from a non-relative first, then you'd have no tax to pay on the 15k, where-as if you inherited from a parent first, then all your inheritance limits might well be used up?

Each of the threshold brackets are separate, so the money he got from an auntie has no bearing on the money he got from a stranger.

On gifting the first €3,000, I have seen people argue that alright but haven't seen it in practice. Maybe some of the tax experts on here can tell you if the Revenue allow it.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back