After I get vaccinated what then?

My wife and myself got our 1st shot on Sunday, both 68 and found everything very well run. Sun night we were both a little more tired than usual and had an early night. Both of us took 2 paracetamol before bed and the following morning we were to head off for a walk and then spend the day on a beach in Achill. I can assure you this didn't happen. Wife was just tired and didn't feel like going anywhere but yours truly was totally spent. Wasn't sick or anything, just no energy, legs heavy and generally tired. This lasted for the day and also all day yesterday and we took paracetamol again before bed last night too. This morning we're both a lot better but feel the vaccine working away in our system and will take it easy. No garden, no walk but thankfully the appetite is ok, not as hungry as usual but not far off it. No need for anyone to worry, just be prepared to be a little down and not working on all cylinders. I do recommend the paracetamol and my neighbour took a Lemsip Max for 2 nights, says it really helped with sleep. She's almost back to normal as well and we're looking forward to our final shot in 12 weeks..

My wife and myself got our 1st shot on Sunday, both 68 and found everything very well run. Sun night we were both a little more tired than usual and had an early night. Both of us took 2 paracetamol before bed and the following morning we were to head off for a walk and then spend the day on a beach in Achill. I can assure you this didn't happen. Wife was just tired and didn't feel like going anywhere but yours truly was totally spent. Wasn't sick or anything, just no energy, legs heavy and generally tired. This lasted for the day and also all day yesterday and we took paracetamol again before bed last night too. This morning we're both a lot better but feel the vaccine working away in our system and will take it easy. No garden, no walk but thankfully the appetite is ok, not as hungry as usual but not far off it. No need for anyone to worry, just be prepared to be a little down and not working on all cylinders. I do recommend the paracetamol and my neighbour took a Lemsip Max for 2 nights, says it really helped with sleep. She's almost back to normal as well and we're looking forward to our final shot in 12 weeks..
Thanks for that it really gives a real sense of what to expect. I have a friend 54 in the UK who experienced similar fatigue issues for 2 days.

and we're looking forward to our final shot in 12 weeks..
A bit puzzled by this. I got my 1st Pfizer vaccination on 16th April and my 2nd injection is confirmed for Thursday next 13th May.

Why the 12-week gap in your case, if you don't mind me asking? I thought all follow-up treatments were at a 4-weekly remove with a 7-day "cooling off" period post-treatment.

A bit puzzled by this. I got my 1st Pfizer vaccination on 16th April and my 2nd injection is confirmed for Thursday next 13th May.

Why the 12-week gap in your case, if you don't mind me asking? I thought all follow-up treatments were at a 4-weekly remove with a 7-day "cooling off" period post-treatment.
Second dose for AZ is 12 weeks and 28days for Pfizer.

Are people experiencing similar side effects to their second Jab of vaccine that they got first time round?

Our son who works part-time in a local pub has just been told a colleague has tested positive eventhough that person had a first dose of AZ .

It just shows that even with good efficacy after one dose its still possible for people to get the virus.

Now everyone who has been in contact with that person, including our son will need to be tested.

From the BBC News webpage 7 days ago.
And of 42 deaths in people with Delta variant infections, 23 were unvaccinated and seven had received only one dose. The other 12 had received two doses more than two weeks before.

From the BBC News webpage 7 days ago.
And of 42 deaths in people with Delta variant infections, 23 were unvaccinated and seven had received only one dose. The other 12 had received two doses more than two weeks before.
From same article:
223 have been admitted to hospital - most were unvaccinated or had only had only dose, and 20 people were fully vaccinated.

So the vaccine could reduce your chances of hospitalisation by 90 percent.

223 have been admitted to hospital - most were unvaccinated or had only had only dose, and 20 people were fully vaccinated.

So the vaccine could reduce your chances of hospitalisation by 90 percent.
Yes, but 12 deaths out of 42 were people that had been fully vaccinated. That's 28% of the total.

Yes, but 12 deaths out of 42 were people that had been fully vaccinated. That's 28% of the total.
For me I think that understanding all of this is now key to everything.

We have again contradictory data and while its becoming obvious that vaccines are improving general health and appears to be weakening the link between cases , serious sickness and hospitalisation but it's not going to be the absolute panacea that many thought it was going to be.

Simply the administration of vaccines alone may not be enough to finally get this virus under control. What can be or will be done to compliment vaccines is anyones guess but their are a few scientific voices saying that 6 months from now we probably will be dealing with multiple variants that might be more/less infectious or deadly and we might be back to square one in understanding.

Which vaccine though? The UK may have bet heavily on a 'poor cousin' vaccine. Those getting a 2nd Pfizer are being told that while the HSE says you are fully vaccinated 7 days hence, the current data suggests it's 14 days re the Delta variant.
Simply the administration of vaccines alone may not be enough to finally get this virus under control. What can be or will be done to compliment vaccines is anyones guess . .
My guess is it will have to be some proven therapeutics following positive antigen tests.

Last edited:
Both myself and my wife have now received our double jab of AZ. At first we heard that we had 92% protection but it appears that this has been reduced to 60% against the Delta variant. I am also hearing that if we had a mix with Pfizer we would have 5 times more protection than two doses of AZ. Then this morning I heard that we would have had 9 times more protection.

Then I hear that we might need a booster jab around Christmas because we have had two AZ vaccines.

I then hear that people in the UK who have had two AZ vaccines are getting the Delta Covid and some ending up in hospital very sick.

I hear that over 180 people tested positive for Covid in Dungarvan after drinking in a bar. I assume that this was outdoor drinking with indoor toilets?

So for us nothing has really changed. We continue on as we did before we got our vaccines. We certainly won't be jumping at the €5 Ryanair flights and even a staycation looks unlikely.

Both myself and my wife have now received our double jab of AZ. At first we heard that we had 92% protection but it appears that this has been reduced to 60% against the Delta variant. I am also hearing that if we had a mix with Pfizer we would have 5 times more protection than two doses of AZ. Then this morning I heard that we would have had 9 times more protection.

Then I hear that we might need a booster jab around Christmas because we have had two AZ vaccines.

I then hear that people in the UK who have had two AZ vaccines are getting the Delta Covid and some ending up in hospital very sick.

I hear that over 180 people tested positive for Covid in Dungarvan after drinking in a bar. I assume that this was outdoor drinking with indoor toilets?

So for us nothing has really changed. We continue on as we did before we got our vaccines. We certainly won't be jumping at the €5 Ryanair flights and even a staycation looks unlikely.
Have a read of this... it is important whether the % relates to whether you will have symptoms, but the main concern is about hospitalisations.

Symptoms:
With the Pfizer/BioNTech jab offering 88% protection against symptomatic disease with the Delta variant, compared with 94% protection against the Alpha variant. For the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, the figures were 67% and 74% respectively for first and second doses.

Hospitalisations:
According to an analysis by PHE, the Pfizer/BioNTech jab was linked to a 94% vaccine effectiveness against hospital admission with the Delta variant after one dose and 96% after two doses, while the figures for the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab were 71% and 92% respectively.

Hi
Got my second jab today I arrived about 10 minutes before the appointed time A large Que of people already there, took at least another Hr to get my jab,
Not complaining Grateful to have received my second jab,
I say well done to everyone involved,

Back