After I get vaccinated what then?

Bronco Lane

Both myself and my wife are close to 70 yrs of age.
I am not sure if we will both receive our vaccinations at the same time. I am not sure if we will both get the same type of vaccination. If there is a time lag between us receiving our vaccinations what happens then?
If we both get our double dose vaccination are we now "safe"? Do we continue to wear our masks, hand wash, keep our social distance from others, to protect others after we have been vaccinated? Can we carry the Covid but not be affected by it?

Remember, vaccines aren't 100% effective, and while it's likely they will give prolonged protection, at this point we don't have enough data to know how long it will take for that effectiveness to drop towards 0%.

I'd expect to continue follow the public health advice until such time as the incidence of the virus in the community has dropped very significantly.

No. Very few vaccines have live virus. These ones don't.
So, if both myself and my wife are vaccinated. We will most likely be safe from getting the virus but it appears that we might pick up the virus somewhere and be carriers of this virus?

So, if both myself and my wife are vaccinated. We will most likely be safe from getting the virus but it appears that we might pick up the virus somewhere and be carriers of this virus?

Yes, there is a reduced chance you might get it, and if you do, you are likely to be less sick and less contagious than you would be without the vaccine. That is why there is so much talk about the effectiveness of the various vaccines.

Both my wife and myself are touching 70 years of age. Different doctors. I assume we both have to wait until our individual doctor contacts us for our vaccinations? Is there any system where both a husband and wife can be vaccinated together even having different doctors?

Unless we are going to use some sort of ink stamp on the forehead of every person that is vaccinated then everyone will have to continue to wear their masks until nobody has to wear a mask. Otherwise how will we know if the non-mask wearer is not vaccinated and is just not bothering to wear it or is actually vaccinated?

It's not just that Purple - a vaccinated person can still be a carrier and infect other people. So until most people are vaccinated, everyone needs to continue wearing a mask, even if vaccinated. Although the vaccinated shouldn't get as ill and hopefully won't be infectious for as long.

Last edited:
Pfizer and Moderna have been shown to reduce transmission. It was with by 20% or to 20%.
Masks and social distancing are with us for a while to come, apparently.

purple says" everyone will have to continue to wear their masks until nobody has to wear a mask."
a friend of mine came across a incident in a supermarket last week between a masked and unmasked person .the unmasked person was refusing to wear a mask ,stating they were now vaccinated so didn't need to wear one anymore , i am beginning to see myself more of the locals who were vaccinated now adopting this attitude too,

But vaccinated people can spread the virus. And more so if vaccinated with AZ.

Anyway, legal requirements supercede health requirements.

i am beginning to see myself more of the locals who were vaccinated now adopting this attitude too,
Please don't tell me you are identifying with the defiant know-nothing idiots who are exempting themselves from social-distancing, santisation rules and mask-wearing in public based on zero pandemic or microbiology knowledge. They also seem to want to choose to ignore government rules. Or do I not understand your post?

Again today a group of four older people with a single shopping basket between them meandered through a Dunnes Stores outlet, randomly picking items from shelves and handing them around for examination by other group members. Sometimes these items went into the basket, other times they went back on the shelves. Challenged, they threatened to call a manager, which I said I was more than happy with. They said they'd sanitized their hands on entering the supermarket and thus posed no threat to anyone. I asked if that was before or after they'd picked up the basket and if they knew whether the basket had been sanitized before they used it. No answer was forthcoming and no manager was summoned.

Then there was the mother and son (?) picking up bread and putting it back with other baked produce. Same routine as with the older group. Mother replied because the bread was wrapped in plastic it posed no threat until I pointed out that the bread wasn't the infecion threat (unless the plastic wrapping was perforated) but the plastic certainly was after she and others had handled it unnecessarily.

People generally are behaving like idiots and I keep the warnings from experts foremost in my mind. With travel, churches, sporting events, social venues (aka pubs and clubs for getting drunk in) closed, the remaining big threat is retail.

If social distancing, masks, and all that other good stuff is mandatory in shops, who is responsible for enforcement? If the shops won't do it based on talking to staff, who have been told by superiors or owners to serve customers irrespective of compliance with mandatory conditions, or what they see happening, then who is? Call the Guards and if so why must it be compliant customers' responsibility? CENTRA, SuperValu, Dunnes Stores, over to you.

Last edited:
Please don't tell me you are identifying with the defiant know-nothing idiots who are exempting themselves from social-distancing, santisation rules and mask-wearing in public based on zero pandemic or microbiology knowledge. They also seem to want to choose to ignore government rules. Or do I not understand your post
I understood that John meant he is seeing evidence around him of other people exempting themselves. But there was a comma missing in his sentence.

Please don't tell me you are identifying with the defiant know-nothing idiots who are exempting themselves from social-distancing, santisation rules and mask-wearing in public based on zero pandemic or microbiology knowledge. They also seem to want to choose to ignore government rules. Or do I not understand your post?

Again today a group of four older people with a single shopping basket between them meandered through a Dunnes Stores outlet, randomly picking items from shelves and handing them around for examination by other group members. Sometimes these items went into the basket, other times they went back on the shelves. Challenged, they threatened to call a manager, which I said I was more than happy with. They said they'd sanitized their hands on entering the supermarket and thus posed no threat to anyone. I asked if that was before or after they'd picked up the basket and if they knew whether the basket had been sanitized before they used it. No answer was forthcoming and no manager was summoned.

Then there was the mother and son (?) picking up bread and putting it back with other baked produce. Same routine as with the older group. Mother replied because the bread was wrapped in plastic it posed no threat until I pointed out that the bread wasn't the infecion threat (unless the plastic wrapping was perforated) but the plastic certainly was after she and others had handled it unnecessarily.

People generally are behaving like idiots and I keep the warnings from experts foremost in my mind. With travel, churches, sporting events, social venues (aka pubs and clubs for getting drunk in) closed, the remaining big threat is retail.

If social distancing, masks, and all that other good stuff is mandatory in shops, who is responsible for enforcement? If the shops won't do it based on talking to staff, who have been told by superiors or owners to serve customers irrespective of compliance with mandatory conditions, or what they see happening, then who is? Call the Guards and if so why must it be compliant customers' responsibility? CENTRA, SuperValu, Dunnes Stores, over to you.
I honestly think you need to take a step back and a few deep breaths.
If you're going to challenge people for picking up a loaf of bread and putting it back on the shelf again you need to take a look at yourself. Even in these times people are entitled to check use by dates on products! There is a reason why we should sanitise our hands on the way in and out of shops.

Yes, but that doesn't justify randomly picking up items and passing them around a group without a care in the world. Why are they even shopping as a group?

After you get vaccinated I think that you should be free to travel anywhere , obeying the mask wearing, washing hands etc.
I do think that there should be only one shopper per family, or per trolly, in a supermarket at any one time though.

I honestly think you need to take a step back and a few deep breaths.
If you're going to challenge people for picking up a loaf of bread and putting it back on the shelf again you need to take a look at yourself. Even in these times people are entitled to check use by dates on products! There is a reason why we should sanitise our hands on the way in and out of shops.
Ad hominem observation implying what I wonder.

A significant minority of shoppers are *not* sanitizing their hands entering or leaving shops and that's the issue. Very few observe the 2m distancing and people are still shopping in herds. I can understand a parent with children and no child-care facilities available having to bring kids to the shops, but other than that how many shoppers do you need to fill a basket? Why the gossipers blocking aisles to have an auld chat? Shopping might have been a social event once, I believe that day has long since passed. And when will shoppers obey the big signs on the fridges, "Avoid handling foodstuffs unnecessarily"? I will continue to challenge unacceptable, unsafe behaviour, your opinion as to what you believe I should really be doing has no relevance here; my health and my safety are my responsibility.

I get the point about needing to see use by/sell by dates on food, they're not always obvious, which is why I wear disposable gloves when shopping; straight out of the box I keep in the car, disposed of safely once the shopping trolley is parked. The various Ministers, experts, advisory groups, and alickadoos could help by encouraging manufacturers and retailers to make the dates plainer and easier to read, but that would inconvenience them and maybe eat into their profit margins, rather than help Sean and Sheila citizen stay safe while shopping.

I have just returned from the local chemist's. I was first in the queue, gloves & mask on as normal. Three people entered behind me despite the sign on the door saying "Only 3 Shoppers inside at a time please". Not one of the three disinfected their hands and one woman, talking to all and sundry in a loud voice about only needing to talk to the pharmacist, decided she'd ignore the clear signs on the floor and the big notice showing the direction of travel for shoppers, and skip to the head of the queue. When I pointed out to her her unacceptable, unsafe behaviour, the counter assistant told her she needed to wait outside. Fair play, a rare display of responsibility from someone in retail. Mrs or Ms Bouquet, retreated, muttering, sotto voce.

Last edited:
Both myself and my wife have had our first jabs.

I am not sure how I was supposed to feel after this. 65% safer I suppose.

Just realised that not much is going to change for us for some time until everyone is in the same situation and things start to open up.

For us we will continue to do what we have been doing since the start of this thing. Maybe just feel safer, sort of.

How are others feeling, planning after they have had their jab?

I and my OH received both jabs together, no after effects:) No major lifestyle changes yet, just waiting till we get our next stage of release.

Back