After Covid

Yes, I wonder why our infection rates are so high compared to other countries in Europe despite over 80% of our population aged over 12 being vaccinated.

My own family and friends have come down with sore throats, runny noses, headaches and tiredness in recent weeks. They have all had Covid tests and none tested positive. All vaccinated.

It's like a summer flu.
The 'summer virus' is mysterious. The same thing happened last September. People have been on holidays but with all the measures and distancing how is it spreading?
A lot more people seem to have it than covid (anecdotal).
I said summer virus, because in comparison, we didn't have a flu season last winter.

Also mysterious are out infection rates. In comparison Denmark lifted the last of its covid restrictions

73% of Denmark’s 5.8 million population is fully vaccinated. Of those aged 65 and older, 96% are fully jabbed.
With around 500 daily Covid cases and a reproduction rate of 0.7, Danish authorities say they have the virus under control.

Personally I think it's down to peoples letting their guard down now that they been vaccinated
The efficacy is around 80% so for me that means 2 out of every 10 people could be potential carriers
I feel that I'm more careful now than I was a year ago as I don't know what my personal efficacy is

Last edited:
The 'summer virus' is mysterious. The same thing happened last September. People have been on holidays but with all the measures and distancing how is it spreading?
Kids are back in school.

I've a family member working in one of the hospital labs who says there has been a large spike in viral infection, many of our extended family have gotten it and the kids are the vectors.

Personally I think it's down to peoples letting their guard down now that they been vaccinated
The efficacy is around 80% so for me that means 2 out of every 10 people could be potential carriers
I feel that I'm more careful now than I was a year ago as I don't know what my personal efficacy is
I think that we are the same. We still take the same precautions as we did before vaccination and will continue to do so. We will tread lightly as we go and slowly we will ease the precautions that we are taking until the daily cases drop significantly.

However I look around me and everyone else seems to be relaxing quite a bit and wonder are we being too cautious. We will continue to wear facemasks over winter to protect from the flu.

I am beginning to feel that we can change our lifestyle and incorporate this new cautious approach to the way we live. Our biggest problem will be dealing with those Covid worry flashpoints that we all encounter from time to time in our daily lives without stressing too much.

Kids are back in school.

I've a family member working in one of the hospital labs who says there has been a large spike in viral infection, many of our extended family have gotten it and the kids are the vectors.
Oh I get that, I just wonder about its source \ repository. Is it a new virus, or a virus being kept alive in circulation somewhere.

Oh I get that, I just wonder about its source \ repository. Is it a new virus, or a virus being kept alive in circulation somewhere.
Just another evolution of the ever-present virus that typically hits hardest in winter after schools go back.

I know I'm not. The risk of serious infection and death has reduced significantly and my actions have changed accordingly.
This is where I differ from you and I presume most of the people, the risk as I believe it is now at BEST 20%, so 20% of vaccinated people will get the virus, which they tell is like having the flu and 5% of those infections will likely require hospitalization and I'm not sure what the percentage of those end up in ICU and what the death rate is of those poor unfortunates.

In the past twenty years I've got caught a cold or flu three times and that was during the five years that I worked in a local bike shop.
Most of the time I was at home building and maintaining their website for them but part of the deal was I wanted to work on the shop floor as it was something I've never done before so one or two days a week I was on site and that I believe from a customer is where I caught the cold/flu

Covid is not the flu and I think its wrong to think like that, the was a Priest up in Donegal who summed it up nicely for me in March 2020
I cant remember exactly what he said but what I heard was, This virus wants to kill you, that is it's sole purpose in life, to destroy it!!

I'm not letting Covid put my life on hold any more so yes I am going to try and get back to the life that I enjoy, cycling in Spain, meals out, going to the cinema, meeting friends and family etc etc but I also going to increase my awareness and vigilance of covid around me
I don't think it's a good idea for us to be dropping our guard while the virus is still mutating and what seems to be coming to light at the moment is that the vaccines that we have all got might not be a effective as we all thought they were going to be a year or so ago

The world has changed and as Bronco Lane says and I paraphrase here,
We have to change our lifestyles and incorporate this new cautious approach to the way we live.

Last edited:
Remember Larry Hagman (JR Ewing in the television series Dallas). He appeared on a Dept of Health tv ad saying "Never be polite about your health"- it was an anti smoking ad and his message was right. Don't be polite to people flaunting the Covid restrictions, especially now.

Remember Larry Hagman (JR Ewing in the television series Dallas).
Indeed I do, and I remember the seeing some of his anti smoking ads as well. I'm remembering the one where he said something like
Kissing a smoker is like kissing an ashtray!!
Now I'm looking at Mrs C in a slightly different way ;)

This is where I differ from you and I presume most of the people, the risk as I believe it is now at BEST 20%, so 20% of vaccinated people will get the virus, which they tell is like having the flu and 5% of those infections will likely require hospitalization and I'm not sure what the percentage of those end up in ICU and what the death rate is of those poor unfortunates.

Older people (over 75) who are vaccinated are still more likely to die if they get Covid than someone in their 20's who isn't vaccinated. The vaccine is not a panacea. On that we agree.
I'm not hand sanitising anywhere near as much as before. Not because I don't care but because it's been shown to be pointless.
I still wear a mask all day in work but I go to pubs and restaurants and I don't worry about catching Covid at all.

I'm not hand sanitising anywhere near as much as before. Not because I don't care but because it's been shown to be pointless.
I still wear a mask all day in work but I go to pubs and restaurants and I don't worry about catching Covid at all.
I wish I was that confident. I still believe, rightly or wrongly, that the chances of me picking up something in a pub to be pretty high. I would still look to sit outside or visit during a quiet afternoon.

I have to agree with you here, I don't sanitise at all really compare to most people I see
My background is in the meat processing area so I have a very good if not anal attention to having clean hands and where those hands touch
and would really only use a sanitiser when I haven't had access to hand washing facilities for a while

I wish I was that confident. I still believe, rightly or wrongly, that the chances of me picking up something in a pub to be pretty high. I would still look to sit outside or visit during a quiet afternoon.
sitting outside possibly sitting with unvaccinated people,

I set outside because the atmosphere is better but with windows open and social distancing in place I'm not concerned.
I wouldn't go into a Nightclub or a racked pub where everyone was close together.

I've gone from not being unduly concerned, at the height of it, to being unconcerned now. We're probably all going to get the Delta anyway (I'd be surprised if I haven't had it already). Time we ended all restrictions methinks.

Back