Aer Lingus baggage charge - €30 per bag?

The annoying thing about AerLingus is that it's not as clear as on the RyanAir site when you begin.

They also MAKE you pay to select your seats on flights. I recently booked flights and paid for the flights as one part of the transaction. It advised from the outset that you 'could' select your seats when you had completed the transaction. However then I was presented with the screen to select seats, it wouldn't let me proceed without selecting and so I had to pay an extra €12 just for choosing seats!?

You can book a flight and not pay for seats. Seats are then allocated at check in...You dont HAVE to pay for the seats.

Yes, that what it says.
But believe me I couldn't proceed with unchecked seats. I intend to ask for a refund.

If you make an error (eg select wrong date etc) don't you have a cooling off period of a day or so where you can get back to them to have it corrected and they can't charge you?

No, you pay to correct the mistake you made.

I booked frights with Aer Lingus for the family to LHR. We are connecting with a long haul flight so the timings were crucial. I went to pay but it timed out and returned me to my preselected flights etc. I didn't notice the date change and proceeded to book again. Only when I had paid and the tickets issued did I realise my mistake and I tried to phone them immediately but as it was late in the evening they were closed.

I phoned next day and they like you said it was my mistake and I'd have to pay an alteration fee of €250 (for the five of us). They were not budging. When I mentioned is the cooling off period I was put on hold and they came back to say yes they could alter it and they waived the change fee.

The reason I asked about this is because when I book with Lufthansa and SAS they actually tell you you have a right to change your mind within 24 hours of the ticket issuing.

Whether this is a right or not I cannot be certain but the result was an impression of excellent customer service.

Does the 24 hour cooling off period actually exist?

Also beaware that on Aerlingus you have to DESELECT if you don't want travel insurance.
i had the same problems for the last two years with Ryanair when I booked for others and I know of others who have the same problem with them - so it's not just Aer Lingus!

You can book a flight and not pay for seats. Seats are then allocated at check in...You dont HAVE to pay for the seats.
that is my experience, too. I never had to select the seats online.

In regards to the 30€ (return) - I am flying on Friday to Berlin and was totally p*** off when I've seen them 30€ especially because they only advertise the luggage fees for 12€ (one way) officially on their site and have in tiny writting somewhere else that prices may vary depending on route. When I queried with Aer Lingus the girl said that hundreds of people have complaint already but the head office in Dublin is not planning to change it yet (the customer care lady was sitting in Frankfurt) so be all aware! She said, depending on flight duration and destination luggage fees are starting from 12€. Annoying really but at least they still let you bring 20kg along....:rolleyes:

...and you don't have to run for the plane cos you've already been allocated a seat ;) I do laugh when people (incl. me) are walking very fast to get on a ryanair flight, only to find that they've run down the steps after the boarding gate ...and have to get onto a transfer bus :D

M

Yes, that what it says.
But believe me I couldn't proceed with unchecked seats. I intend to ask for a refund.

I faced this issue before but then figured it out. By the time you're at the "select seat" page, you've already paid for the flights so are free to exit completely.

I agree that it looks like you have no option but to select seats and this is misleading, but it is possible to just exit.

On my recent flight to Malaga with Aer Lingus when I was checking in on line and printing out my boarding pass I selected my seats at that point and I was not charged any fee. I think you only have to pay to select your seat if you do so when you actually book your flights. I realise you may not have as good a selection but I was able to get all three seats together in row 10 so I was happy and it cost me nothing extra!

Back