advise me on buying a Sat Nav to use in ireland & Northern Ireland

Boxette

can anyone advise me on buying a Sat Nav to use in ireland & Northern Ireland and where is best place to buy.

I use a Garmin Wide screen model which I find much easier to read then the smaller ones...

After that my advice isn't up to much!!

I use a Tom Tom. Find it very good but got it as a gift, but I think it came from Halfords. Wherever you go, make sure it has the most up to date maps. Buying the latest maps ain't cheap.

Why not get an android phone (HTC for example). They have a built in Satnav which is excellent. it uses Google Maps which tends to be more up to date - so doesnt need upgrades. If you have a decent dataplan - you shouldnt pay extra for sporadic to normal usage.

I bought a Garmin a couple of years ago, you get 1 free map update, my maps are now out of date and Garmin want €80 to update them.

I bought a Garmin a couple of years ago, you get 1 free map update, my maps are now out of date and Garmin want €80 to update them.

For €90 you can purchase Lifetime full European mapping. So for that one-off fee you can continue to download the quarterly map updates for as long as you have that sat nav (the Lifetime licence is locked to a single device).
Leo

I recently looked at some Garmins on display in the shops and they still did not have the new motorways installed.

I recently looked at some Garmins on display in the shops and they still did not have the new motorways installed.

I have a garmin (with lifetime upgrade) - and I never use it now that I have an android (HTC Desire) phone. It has an excellent satnav built in (using GPS) - and it links into Google maps for the directions (even goes into street view as you reach your destination). i find it is much more uptodate - and the navigation interface is excellent.

Back