Advice re Leaving Public Sector

Its not a straight % though. It is 3% of pensionable earnings plus 3.5 % of net pensionable earnings. As an example, for Person A on €40,000 this works out at €1696, while for Person B on €80,000 it is €4296.

When we add in PRD, Person A's total pension deduction is €2496 while for Person B it is €9196.

I am not sure if it's what you are intending, but you are backing up my point.

Higher-earning PS workers pay a greater % of salary in official pension contributions as well as higher PRD (which doesn't generate an entitlement).

It is (actuarially) something to consider if you peak early. You'll be making large-ish contributions for the rest of your career but with no upside to your eventual pension.

I am not sure if it's what you are intending, but you are backing up my point.

No intention one way or the other.

It is (actuarially) something to consider if you peak early. You'll be making large-ish contributions for the rest of your career but with no upside to your eventual pension

It might be hard to work it otherwise, though, for most people.:) I think some people may seek to pad up the "pensionable emollients" in the final years in those sectors/grades in which this may be possible, eg, shifts, etc. Also, at the top end you do tend to note some retirements after around 3 years in the top position.

Itchy said:

I understand for post 2012's they wont be eligible for the Supplementary either.
My understanding as well.

correct;

'The Scheme's minimum pension age will be linked to the State Pension age (66 years initially, rising to 67 in 2021 and 68 in 2028)'

Back