Advice re: gas fire installed wrong, how can I get compensated?

witchymand

Hi,
About 3 month ago I had a gas fire installed by the gas company, it was promised to me that it would be installed flush to the wall, and that everything would be perfect. I borrowed the money to pay for this, anyway the work was supposed to take one and half days, after the first day I came home to find the fire put in but still out from the wall (if that makes sense), I rang the company several times and after about a month an inspector from the company came out and looked at the fire, and he said 'no that is not right, I will have somebody sort that out for you' - that was now about 2 months ago.
I am totally pissed off because my 3 year old is putting his hands behind the fire, and throwing toys in behind it, and it is all the bloody gas companies fault.
Now I want to take it further, but how do I do this, to be honest I definetly want to get a solicitor onto this, but don't know whether any would be interested.
Do you have any advice, as it is a total eyesore, and also a health hazard.
Thanks

Hi,

Do you mean Bord Gais or an approved installer? I understood they always used the latter.

Have you tried contacting Bord Gais and raising the matter with them thru their [broken link removed]with the possibility of passing the matter to an [broken link removed] if necessary?

also a health hazard

Is that installation actually safe? - are you allowed to use the gas fire?

It reminds me of a place I once rented in England. This guy from the gas board came to switch on the gas. First he inspected all the gas appliances. Nearly every one of them he put a label saying not to use it because it wasn't safe. The gas fire in the hallway had a label stating that it was actually a criminal offence to use, it was that unsafe! (The flue was venting into the cavity of a partition wall)

It was Bord Gais, and yes I rang and rang and they said that they would send out one of their inspectors to check it, and he just looked at it and said 'ah that is not finished - who was it that fitted that' and when I told him, he said he would get it sorted for me, but that was over two months ago, and now I am totally pissed off with them, because you expect when you pay the money I did (upfront aswell) and off the main gas company in the country that you should get what you paid for.

Call them every day. Take the name of the person you spoke to and say you will call them tomorrow for an update. Keep going until it's sorted.

A pain for you, but very annoying for them and works every time. Be polite and to the point at all times and ask for a large discount off your bill for the inconvenience.

Having worked at one time in a company which were approved contractors with Bord Gais I can confirm that Bord Gais do not carry out installation work of this kind. Although you may have bought the Fire from a bord gais showroom it was most certainly installed by an approved contractor. As for the inspector - no Bord Gais person could or would allow you to carry on using a fire which was in anyway dangerous.

Check if the inspector was from bord gais or the contractor - if you are in any doubt phone Bord Gais and speak to somebody in there sales department - once you give them your name and address they will be able to instantly access who actually fitted the fire - explain your problem and they will in my experience deal with it efficently and effectivly. Any approved contractor who does not respond to such problems with 24hrs after been contacted by Bord Gais will not be approved for long. Just make sure you get Bord Gais number. Let them deal with the contractor.

Back