Advice please: Tax increases on SUV's?

Plek Trum

Hi - Im thinking of trading my car ('00 BMW 316iSE) for a diesel (reduce running costs.. hopefully). I've been looking at 1.8 / 2.0Ltr diesel SUV's as I require a roof rack and something robust for these Kerry roads.

As trading up and intending to reduce costs longterm, does anyone know of any proposed tax increases on SUV's by the Government? I know there were definate talks about it but can't find any info as yet.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions of suitable vehicles to consider I would appreciate it. Currently looking at Landrover Freelander (roughly 2004 / 2005). Anything else that my be robust, have roof rack and be econimical in the longterm?!

Well if your ultimate aim is to reduce running costs I would steer clear of the Landrover Freelander. They have a bad reputation with regard to reliability and you could end up spending more on repairs etc.

You might consider something Japanese - X-trail, CRV or Forrester.

The new taxation system will be based on fuel efficency and CO2 emissions rather than whether a vehicle is SUV or not.

In that case a moderately powered diesel should fare well.

You could check out whatever you are thinking of buying against the new UK rating system to see how it fares as the system to come in here is likely to be broadly similar.

Thanks for that - its a bit of a selective minefield out there without advice! Back to carzone.ie for me...

Any other thoughts or suggestions?..

Rav 4 - very comfortable and very fuel efficient in diesel. Should have a good re-sale value also.

The new taxation system will be based on fuel efficency and CO2 emissions rather than whether a vehicle is SUV or not.

In that case a moderately powered diesel should fare well.

You could check out whatever you are thinking of buying against the new UK rating system to see how it fares as the system to come in here is likely to be broadly similar.

Do you have a link for this UK Rating system please?..

Thanks for that - definately will be used when making final decisions.

Are the Landrover Freelanders really that bad? I've spotted a few I quite like the look of (I know... women and all that..!)

my wife was going to buy a td4 one which has an excellent engine. i had one picked out and a plane ticket bought and everything. 2 days before my planned trip we were watching top gear and they showed some crash tests. at 30 into a wall the freelanders roof actually folded in the middle. no way would she drive the kids around in one after that. in the end she got an older range rover and loves it.

Back