Advice on trading down car

M

MixuPat

I'm looking for advice on trading down my car. I currently own a 05 Peugeot 407 but i'm looking to trade down to a smaller car, possibly between 5-8k in value. What are the best options to achieve this? Do dealers accept trade downs? My wife has just got a new company car and we dont need 2 larger size cars.

Not sure about dealers accepting trade downs they probably do but you will get very little for it.

Have a look at carzone.ie or cbg.ie and see what prices others are selling your particular make and model for.

I think the best way for you to go would be to sell privately and then buy something privately yourself. That way you should have a nice few euro in your pocket.

Absolutely. Sell your own car privately if you can. 407 diesels are highly sought after. Price it realistically (c.10% less than a dealers price).

I was faced with this siuation a few years ago.

My guess is that you'll find great reluctance by any dealer to even consider doing this (i.e. pay out more for a trade-in than they're getting in for selling something).

I'd agree that the best thing to do would be to sell privately.

Your best bet is a private sale, but this can take time.
It is definitely a buyers market and you have to make your vehicle sound more attractive to a prospective buyer than a similar vehicle from a dealer which would come with warranty etc..

It is possible to trade down with a dealer, however as I did this with the wifes car recently.
Traded a '05 Peugeot 206 for a '02 Nissan Micra with a main Nissan dealer and was given cash back.
She only had the 206 for 6 months and just could not take to it.
Overall we lost a few quid but not that much....

Back