Advice on purchasing an iron.

Josey Wales

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an iron at the moment but there is such a huge range out there. There also seems to be a big difference in the price of different irons.

Can anyone recommend a good make or model? Or point out something I should be looking for in an iron?

Is it worth splashing out on those big irons with the steam generators?
Thanks.

I bought this one about 6 months ago - and it does the job perfectly for me (though the penny pinching part of me thinks it was a daft amount of money to spend on an iron!).

In regards to the steam generator ones I'm not sure what the extra money really buys you.

Kildrought said:
In regards to the steam generator ones I'm not sure what the extra money really buys you.
A steam generator...so you never have to stop and let it warm up.

Another Steam Generator fan here. I bought my Morphy Richards on in Roches about 2 months ago and will never go back to a traditional iron. The amount of steam they generate makes it so much easier to iron nad does a way better job

D

Josey,
Whatever you decide to buy, just don't forget to invest in a good ironing board as well!

Hi Josey

As someone who has no success with irons ... I seem to have to replace them annually I would offer the following advice.

1. Make sure the one you choose is not too heavy ... you will notice the difference when you're ironing and your arm gets tired after a shorter time.

2. Look for one that is easy to fill with water ... I made the mistake of buying one that you fill from the bottom which is a nusicence when you need to refill mid-ironing session.

3. Non stick is the only way to go.

4. Make sure the flex is long enough to reach the end of the ironing board.

5. When replacing the ironing board cover, leave the old one in place and simply put the other one on top of it ... it offers extra padding for smoother ironing. I have about 10 covers on my ironing board at the moment.

6. Pick a colour you like ... ironing is a chore so at least if you like the colour of the iron you won't hate the sight of it so readily!

7. Don't spend a fortune on an iron ... I would suggest not more than about 40 quid ... they do break from being dropped, the eletronics give up etc.

8. My list is getting longer but finally get one with a comfortable handle that is easy to hold.

Happy ironing.
Good luck.

We have the same cheap and cheerful iron that we bought 11 years ago - most likely in Argos, can't remember - and it still does the job fine.

We have the same cheap and cheerful iron that we bought 11 years ago - most likely in Argos, can't remember - and it still does the job fine.
How mnay ironing boards would you have had during that time?

Josey, if you have a tumble dryer stick the clothes in for 5 minutes before you iron them, it'll take out heavy creases and make them much easier to iron. Regarding the iron we got this one in Roches sale for €53

Works great, the steam tip is a godsend on shirt collars and cuffs.

Ha ha heather. It's funny my MIL has no luck with kettles ... has to buy one every few months ... they keep breaking. Sometimes I think small domestic appliances have minds of their own! ;)

Back