Advice on keeping or selling rental property

collydale

Spouse’s/Partner's age:

Annual gross income from employment or profession:
€80,000 plus expected annual bonus 15-20%
Annual gross income spouse:
€18,500 (part-time)

Type of employment:
Me Private Sector, Spouse Public sector (contract not permanent)

Expenditure pattern:
Saver

Rough estimate of value of home
Approx Value: 245,000
Outstanding Mortgage 157,500
Interest rate 2.6% fixed to June 2023, overpaying 850 per month since August 2020. 26 years remaining (without factoring in overpayment).

Rental property (former family home)
Approx Value: 270,000
Outstanding Mortgage 110,000
Interest rate 1.25% (Tracker) 16 years remaining.
Rent 1350 per month

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
None

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month?
Yes

Savings and investments:
Emergency/Rainy day fund - €12,000
General savings for Kids college - €15,000

Do you have a pension scheme?
Occupational Pension scheme – current value €135,000, I contribute 5% and employer contributes 10%.
Spouse small pot from previous employment value approx €20,000. Not currently contributing. No pension with current employer.

Do you own any investment or other property?
See above re former family home which we were able to hold onto when we moved house and we now rent out.

Ages of children:
13, 9, 3.

Life insurance:
2 policies linked to mortgages.
Separate death in service policy through work (x4 salary)

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?
Long time lurker in this forum looking for some advice on our own circumstances now!

We had been saving aggressively for a number of years to accumulate 20% deposit for second house and money to put into the house, for relocating back to the part of the country we grew up in. As I continued to work in Dublin 3 – 4 days per week we held onto the property in Dublin for me to stay in mid-week. Since Covid struck we have rented out the Dublin house, we haven’t been greedy (possibly naively) and we set the rent at a level that would cover the cost of the mortgage payments and the tax on the rental income (i.e. well below market going rate!).

It looks like post-Covid I may only need to be in Dublin one day per week so won’t need the property as a Dublin base, we are trying to figure out if we should continue to rent the property out or sell!

Our approach has been to almost ignore the rental income and continue to pay both mortgages as normal without reference to the rental income, and then we apply the net rental income as an overpayment on our PPR mortgage. If we hold on to the house the plan would be to continue the overpayment and when we come out of the fixed term in June 2023 LTV should be less than 60% (potentially closer to 50% LTV) so should be able to avail of a competitive rate.

Do we sell now when the market is good and in that case I’d expect us to be mortgage free which would I would think would be an amazing position to be in by 40 with 3 kids (without having received any windfalls along the way). Or do we hold on to it, continue to use the net rental income to overpay the mortgage on our PPR and probably be mortgage free on PPR and also own the rental property outright (or minimal mortgage only) by 50 or so. And then have a separate asset to earn income from and which could be sold to realise the value at any point (in this alternative I nearly see the eventual sale proceeds as being my spouse’s ‘pension pot’!).

Not sure which is the best course of action on this one and would really welcome any thoughts/comments/experience.

Thanks in advance!

Rental property (former family home)
Approx Value: 270,000
Outstanding Mortgage 110,000
Interest rate 1.25% (Tracker) 16 years remaining.
Rent 1350 per month

Sarenco sets out a systemic approach to this issue in this thread which you should look at.

In summary:
Rent = €16,000
Expenses - say: €3,000
Interest : €1,000
Profit before tax: €12,000
Tax : €6,000
Net profit after tax: €6,000

If you sell the property you will be able to pay €160k off your existing mortgage which will save you 2.6% or €4,000 a year.

So the net benefit for the hassle is €2,000 a year =/- any change in the value of the property.

Not really worth keeping for the hassle involved. Unless, there is a good prospect that the kids might use it when they study or work in Dublin.

General savings for Kids college - €15,000
You are not getting a 2.3% risk free return on this after tax, so use this to pay down your mortgage.

In 7 years, your circumstances will be very different. If you need cash at that stage, you will have a much smaller mortgage or you can sell the investment property to fund the kids education.

when we come out of the fixed term in June 2023

Don't just assume you are stuck on this high rate until then. Check what the break fee is now. You may be able to break and refix at a lower rate or switch to a cheaper lender.

Brendan

Not really worth keeping for the hassle involved. Unless, there is a good prospect that the kids might use it when they study or work in Dublin.
(Off topic)...the way things are going you may not be able to kick out tenants to let the kids use it for college. So I'd factor that into any decision as well.

(Off topic)...the way things are going you may not be able to kick out tenants to let the kids use it for college. So I'd factor that into any decision as well.
I doubt this. I would think that constitutional property rights will always mean that landlords will be able to take back occupancy for own or family use, subject to notice.

It depends on where the property is and where your kids will study, but having your kids live in your own property during third-level is a very, very efficient use of your wealth. At 13 it should be clear to you whether your child is on track for third-level or not. Most likely the 9 year old too.

Back