Advice on getting a puppy?

I think Kildrought's suggestion about considering a cat is worth looking at and also Ramble's suggestion is excellent.

If, after weighing everything up, you do decide to get a dog contact a shelter such as paws.ie or The volunteers there know the personality of each and every dog that they have there and will match one to any prospective owner. Also, if the adoption doesn't work out, they will take the dog back. You can also check out the help page on my site at [broken link removed] for lists of shelters and rescues.

Let us know what you decide.

Not to keep going on and on, but if the pre-requisite to owning a dog is that it be a house dog and also that it needs somebody around all day - then very few people would be able to have a dog as a pet at all. They are not hamsters. For example if this is the requirement, then anyone in a 4 story apartment block would fit the bill, so why is this frowned on. Dogs are not dolls, they need air and the outdoors. if you walk them twice a day and they have backdoor space to live in then there should be no issue. I love dogs and have had many, so I hope I am don't appear to be dismissive or not aware of a dogs best interests here.

Anyway as suileglasa said the best thing maybe to approach a shelter with requirements outlined.

Invariably these posts on "getting a dog" are distressing as they appear not to recognise the reality and needs of canines which a number of posters have put very clearly.

I do think the original poster's issue is around not being able to resist pressure from - and instill some sense of realism into! - a 10-year-old child. Whatever animal or breed is chosen is irrelevant as it is about the parent/child relationship.

When my nieces and nephews demanded "pets" when they were children my sensible brother introduced World Wildlife projects of sponsoring endangered species. The children learned a great deal about geography, history, ethnology and the realities of the world around them and conservation knowledge and efforts got a bit more funding.

It also meant there was one less broken-hearted dog cooped in lifelong misery in a Dublin back-yard.

By the way the advice about a dog (or any animal or 'pet') needing expensive veterinary attention only for innoculation is far from the truth. My much-loved 16-year-old mongrel bitch died a few months ago. I had found her abandoned in a Dublin street in January 1991. For the last three years of her life she was (as any of us will be if we reach 100 years of age!) frail and slow and needing a good deal of veterinary attention. As the animal protection-society slogan puts it:- "A dog is not just for Christmas: it's for life!" A dog (or any pet you get!) does not stay young or "a pup". It has changing needs throughout what can often be a long life.

Please - in the circumstances and with the attitudes you have described - DON'T GET A DOG!

Don't do it... dogs are for the country, if you have any consideration for your neighbours sleep then don't get the dog.

There are animal shelters that you can go to and choose a dog and bring it for a walk and then back to the shelter again. There used be one in Rathfarnham. Would this possibly be a solution ie the child gets enjoyment from the dog and the dog benefits from one to one social interaction. It may be a good learning tool at the very least. You could obtain details from the ISPCA.

Marie said:
I do think the original poster's issue is around not being able to resist pressure from - and instill some sense of realism into! - a 10-year-old child. Whatever animal or breed is chosen is irrelevant as it is about the parent/child relationship.

Please - in the circumstances and with the attitudes you have described - DON'T GET A DOG!

I take great exception to your quote regarding me as a parent and hope for all animals that come your way you are a better judge of animals than you are of people. I am lost as what attitude you think I have that makes me un-qualified to even consider owning a dog or any pet.

For the record I was looking for advice, it was nothing to do with my relationship with my 10 year old child it was to get peoples oponions on the pros and cons of owning and looking after a dog which the majority of posters gave without any personal attack on a 10year old child.

For the record my child has given up her christmas present from her Aunts & Uncles each year for the last 5 years and donates it to the Animal Shelter in Dublin, stand up on your soapbox and show me many 10year old children that do this. She also applied to the local ISPCA to do voluntary weekend work.

For the record I do not live in Dublin and would even consider having a dog or any other animal if I did not think it could have the love and attention it needed.

For the record if "my attitude" was as you think do you not think I would already have a pet and I wouldn't be looking for advice.

To all that have provided the honesty of owning a pet THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Hi there......

I was that 10 year old child once, who sobbed cried, pleaded and eventally refused to speak to anyone (for nealy two months) until my parents eventally relented and got me a puppy.

Now i must start by saying that that dog (Eddie) brought an unbeliveable amount of joy to my life and to this day and for the rest of my days I will always own a dog.....

However...........

Eddie, was a normal dog. He chewed,wrecked, dug holes,got ill, needed walking each day,jumped all over you when he was covered in mud. He smelled, (even after constant bathing) he was noisy and for my parents he was expensive. he also broke the entire familys heart when he passed away........

We lived in a normal house with a small back garden, you cannot leave a dog in a small back garden....the dog will go nuts. you can however just allow it to be in the kitchen and your garden as I do.

At the end of the day, if you get this dog, it will be your dog, not your childs...........if you do not want the reposnabilty DO NOT GET A DOG.
they are hard work, but are worth it : )

do contact PAWS so advice on a breed as some breeds look cute but are stone mad and are not suited to a family home (think endless digging and chewing as your dog is a Hyper highly energitic breed)

I think on balance a dog is a wonderful addition to a family, but they are an addtion!! much the same as another child.

If you cant cope with all the hassle that goes with a Dog i would suggest a cat instead, they are much easier to look after and are happy to be outside (iv approx 5 owned cats and 3 dogs over the past twenty years)

Best of luck
Suemoo

ps: I do feel that fact that you are researching the issue is a good indicator that you take this issue serisoulsy so you will make the right decision : )

Hi there......

I was that 10 year old child once, who sobbed cried, pleaded and eventally refused to speak to anyone (for nealy two months) until my parents eventally relented and got me a puppy.

Now i must start by saying that that dog (Eddie) brought an unbeliveable amount of joy to my life and to this day and for the rest of my days I will always own a dog...

Hi All,

In a very similar position to the original poster, my 13 year old daughter has wanted a dog for about the last three years. Having decided to wait until we were happier that she could show the necessary responsibility to own a dog and having gone through every single plus and minus that we could think of , we have finally made a 'family' decision to get one. Believe me, there were many pro's and con's to weigh up and like suemoo, both myself and my wife both had dogs growing up and could see all the bonding/loyalty advantages but I guess we wanted to insure that there was no 'fad' element to this. My daughter is over the moon but amazed us by saying that she wanted to wait until she could give a good home to a dog that had been unwisely given as a Christmas present....!! She's either a very sensible compassionate child or a Minister of Finance in the making ! :)

r2d2

A cat and a dog are extremely different creatures, forget the cat suggestion. I was 10 years old once, I wanted a dog, not a cat, not a rabbit, not a goldfish - I cared for my dog and many mistreated dogs after it and I am glad my parents believed me - 20 years on! Give her her chance - tell me if its not working and I will take the dog but u know your child she may gvie a damn.

we got one of our dogs at you can even sponsor dogs if you cant take one home

we have an alsation and a lab now hard wor but fun

You have a two year old and want the puppy to be an outdoor dog. No rescue that I know of will give a dog/puppy to on those grounds to be honest. Under the right circumstances dogs can spend a lot of time outdoors if they have other canines to play with and have a good sized garden but without adequate social conditions, any puppy will turn out troublesome if left outdoors too much. A puppy left outside for hours and then mingles with children from 2 to 10 in age will display problems and then who will be the bad doggy? Puppies grow very quickly into teenage like young dogs full of chewing, jumping, peeing and other things children and adults don't like unless they are constantly checked and trained properly when of course is not possible if kept outdoors. Make sure you talk to experienced animal people please before any final decisions. They will tell you up front the pros and cons. Otherwise your children and of course the puppy will not be happy! Animal shelters like ASH, Paws, etc. are jam packed with puppies and dogs who people selected to suit their lifestyles and then disgarded when proved unsuitable. You are very wise to ask on this board and I implore you to continue your research before taking a puppy on board.

Firstly I agree with other posters...Do not get a dog unless you are prepared for a long term commitment. That said we have had many dogs down through the years including small suburban environments.

The key is to get a dog that suits your circumstances..

If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion the best and most suitable dogs we have ever had ( And we are on our second now) for similar environments is a "Bichon Frise". They look like a small scotch terrier when their hair is long and a bit like a poodle when trimmed but in fact are no relation to either. Small. White, Non shedding (which is critical if you are going to have him indoors) intelligent, easy to train ( the only breed I know who can walk around on 2 legs without virtually any training) We made our mistakes in the past but these are lovely animals and exceptionally good with children. Do a google for more info.

If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion the best and most suitable dogs we have ever had ( And we are on our second now) for similar environments is a "Bichon Frise".

We have had them,lovely dogs but under no circumstances are they an outdoor dog.If you aren't going to let it live indoors don't buy one of these and if you don't give them loads of attention they will turn into little gremlins.They love attention and to run the show if let.

Hi All,

Thanks again for your continued feedback, just to update on the situation. It has been agreed that for the forseeable future there will be no dog in the Cashstapped household, we visited 2 Dog Shelters in our region and spoke to workers there. They went through in detail the requirements for owning and looking after all types of pets. I think seeing so many dogs in the shelters had an amazing effect on her and although she would loved to have as she put it herself "saved them all" it also brought home the reality of how many dogs are unwanted for one reason or another. We have also agreed with a neighbour who has a dog that we bring him for a walk and with our help our daughter will care for him if they go away for a weekend.

Thanks again

Hi Cashstrapped,

Just have to say I admire you for bringing her to the dog shelter. It's heartbreaking to see how these poor animals end up. She seems like a very responsible little girl and is a credit to you. I hope she gets her wish at some stage. (In saying that I don't agree with locking dogs in back gardens.) I don't know if you've ever been to ASH in Wicklow. If you haven't, you should drive out one day and see the fantastic work Helena and Remi do. Honestly it would warm your heart. I think they look for volunteers to help with the dogs so you could give them a ring and bring your little girl. You can sponsor dogs for a very small fee through their website. I was up there a while ago and like your little girl, I also wanted to "take them all". I couldn't do that so I took one little fella and he is just great! For anyone that has a love of animals I would recommend having a look at their site. www.ashanimalrescue.com These people dedicate their lives to saving these dogs. We should all just take a few minutes to read about their fantastic work. By the way I have no connection with ASH, I just love animals!

Cashstrapped, fantastic approach and well done. If a lot more parents were as thoughtful as you we'd never have the animal shelters to begin with.

Agree - wish more people were as good as you when it came to pets!! As for ASH I am a great fan of theirs too - check out Desperate Houses on RTE on 22 December AFAIK. They feature this wonderful rescue in a bit of a face lift for their home which also is the rescue. You will get sound advice from them if you visit about children and pets, type of dog suitable and where to house him, etc. They currently have over 120 dogs, many of whom were once lovely puppies but grew into lively jumpy dogs who weren't wanted anymore. But like any rescue they will only rehome dogs/puppies to homes and families that are suitable and that will usually involve a homecheck so that all questions, etc. can be anwered by the would be owner and that the rescue are reasonably confident they can cope with the new pet. Its a huge committment and caution is always needed - best of luck:) Don't forget to visit the ASH website and remember, any donation, no matter how small, is so welcomed in the care of their many animals. Maybe your little girl may like to buy their christmas cards or donate? It really makes a huge difference to ASH;)

Yes tinkerbell it's on 22nd December. Really looking forward to seeing it. Will be sending my Christmas card and donation next week. In a country that is apparently booming it's a shame more can't be done to help these people with their wonderful work.

Back