Advice on ex-girlfriend buy out of property

Before you go to your solicitor you should write down everything you have paid and are currently paying. Also write down what your ex contributed. That's a good place to start. You also should have a list of all you own (property, deposits, cars), loans outstanding etc. Your own montly outgoings (rent, heat etc). If you did it all up in excel or somesuch it might make it easier to go through the figures. To be fair I'm guessing the dole doesn't pay a lot and bringing up kids is costly. Being amicable, as you seem to be is very helpfull, but be aware the other side may not be. That's the nature of relationships. But you do seem to be paying for everything. Incidentally you did not need to transfer all the bills into your name to protect your credit rating, you could have transferred them out of your name but don't do anything now until you have spoken to your solicitor. When separated, with kids, it's more normal that one side pays maintenance to the other who then pays their own bills out of that plus whatever income they have. The care and happiness of the child is the important thing here and amicable parents in a tricky situation can go a long way towards this.

If you have a loan with the credit union does it come up with the credit bureau when doing a mortgage application?

Hi Philip, having gone through something similar myself with 2 children involved, my advice to you is get yourself a good solicitor and find out your rights, get your statements together showing the mortgage coming from your bank account and bills etc.. Unfortunately whether you like it or not you are involved in a tough fight and you are going to have to be strong with good backing from your family and close friends, I was so concerned initially about the children she used this to her advantage, after some advice the gloves came off and I countered her demands with demands of my own backed up legally i.e. solicitors letter and then threatened a custody battle I moved back in to the house which I was entitled to do, eventually we came to an amicable agreement and we now get on great I have my new life and see the kids every week. It is not going to be easy but stand up for yourself otherwise you could find yourself financially ruined. Good Luck.

Thanks Chlc

Appreciate the advice and great to hear your both amicable to each other with some hope of light at the end of the tunnel while I am in the middle of all this.

Back