Advice on computer science degree and CAO

S

sueellen

Hi All,

The dreaded CAO looms and just looking for some advice on the following:

1. Strong consideration is being given to computer science in RTC in Tallaght. Is Tallaght the best option or would possibly DIT in Aungier St. be better? Someone who has attended both (for other courses) feels that DIT has better facilities?

2. Have noticed so many people here complain over time about wanting to get out of the IT business and just wondering what's so bad about it or is the general IT job situation better now? Would these highs/lows deter people from going into it if they were back at the CAO stage themselves?

3. Have been told that the course is extremely hard and not to be undertaken lightly. Some people feel that just because they like messing around with computers that the course will be a doddle but they get a shock on starting their studies. Is this statement true or is it an exaggeration?

All advice would be greatly appreciated because mother is more uptight than son (as usual)! :)

Don't know much about Tallaght or Aungier St - The Computer Apps degree at DCU was widely respected as the most commercially valuable degree 5-10 years ago.

If son has a strong leaning for maths & science subjects, he should be able to manage a degree course - but it will certainly take hard work and application.

On the broader issue of the IT job market, I think people mix up enjoying working with computers with making a career out of IT. Almost every non-trade job today requires some IT skills, but making a career out of working 'under the hood' of IT systems is a different matter.

Some people feel that just because they like messing around with computers that the course will be a doddle but they get a shock on starting their studies. Is this statement true or is it an exaggeration?

I don't think that any course is a doddle and if there are such courses then they are probably useless. It depends on what they mean by "messing around with computers". If this is just as an end user then it might not give that much leverage in terms of making the course easier. If it means actually programming things and understanding the fundamentals of computer architectures, algorithms/data structures, one or more professional programming languages etc. then it would probably represent an excellent grounding for such a course. I always reckoned that the maths/science background was always stressed too much for computer applications/science courses and what was much more important was an interest in figuring out how things work and an aptitude for problem solving. For what it's worth I graduated from Computer Applications in DCU (neé NIHED as it was then) in 1988. :)

Hi Sueellen,

I'm currently in University at the moment (not doing anything regarding computers), but just thought I'd add my tuppence worth. Its really surprised me over my 4 years here just how many people have realised that the course they picked isn't the one for them, and either transferred to a different course/college. As far as I'm aware most of the courses in DIT are all degree level, while in Tallaght IT theyre usually step by step (cert after 2yrs + diploma after 3yrs + degree after 4/5yrs). If your son really isn't sure about the course, maybe the IT step-by-step route is the best for him, he could change courses after 2 years and still have a qualification in computers. If he leaves DIT after two years he has nothing. Please bear in mind that I have absolutely no experience of any computer science course, nor any DIT or Tallaght IT course, this is just general experience I've gained from being through the third level system.

I did a computer science degree in TCD and it was a good course but as above there was a huge number who werent really 100% interested and would have been better off on another course - many have branched out to different areas which were available to them due to their having a degree so if your son chooses this route remember he can change direction down the line.

Would he be interested/eligible in an engineering course and choosing the Computer Engineering branch in third year? This could be a great option for anyone with the practical, logical mind required for programming as it gives you the option of sticking with the engineering or focusing on IT.

In terms of IT career options, I have gone into IT consultancy with a large consultancy firm where I have gained crossover into the business domain aswell. True its hard to get into consultancy but I'd highly recommend it as an area to start a career in as it provides many oppurtunities to diversify.

If he does go with computer science I urge him to really focus on the programming aspect in first year - so many people struggle with this which has major implications as many subjects will involve programming in some shape or form. The benefits of work experience in this area cannot be underestimated - I got a sumemr internship in summer of my second year in college and learned more programming than in two years college and found third year a breeze thanks to this. AFAIK, DCU is the only college offering a work placement and the courses there are highly regarded as they prepare students for real world jobs so consider if this is an option.

I gave grinds to a few Tallaght IT students and was struck by the content similarities with TCD. However, they were still teaching COBOL as the main programming language as late as 2000 so they need to learn to move with the times. I have a good few friends who have done this course and it is quite difficult, but I can objectively say that it was not to the same standard as the TCD degree I did or the DCU degree that I have also given grinds for. That said, many friends that went to Tallaght have also gotten decent jobs.

What about doing science in UCD ...

... and then taking up computer science in second year?At least you can find your feet a bit and explore a few options before committing to computer science ... just a thought

Re: Thanks to all

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful and a lot to digest. Would welcome any other views out there.

I did a 2 year national certificate in computing in waterford RTC back 88-90. i think i knew i would like a career in computers because i always had an interest in programing and messing around with my old zx spectrum as a teenager. i still enjoy the work and IT has been very good to me. so i would recommend it as a career.

I did a 2 year national certificate in computing in waterford RTC back 88-90. i think i knew i would like a career in computers because i always had an interest in programing and messing around with my old zx spectrum as a teenager. i still enjoy the work and IT has been very good to me. so i would recommend it as a career.

Nice antidote to the usual "sick of IT" posts. :) I've had some doubts along the way myself at different times but have to say that overall software development is something that I always wanted to do (since my ZX80 days! ;) ) and has generally been enjoyable, stimulating and rewarding (financially and otherwise) over the 17 years or so that I've been doing it.

Back