Advice on buying laptop

Re: Advice on buying laptop... PLEASE

have had a dell, still ahve a work won and hate the piece of junk...

it's terbbile, and dell are terrible to deal with re: customer care....wouldn't be fond of them.

campaq...nothing special...

sony, nice looking, good architecture...

of the 3 listed dell has the best spec but will have the worst looks.

if you have time, have a look at toshiba, the best out there the experts thing...

personall, i like hp, relaiable, good quality and good spec, can get a decent one for 1200 at moment, seen one in harvey norman..comes with bag and wireless mouse...will prob drop after xmas...

and mac is a great little system, takes a while to get used to it, and there is some software that doesn't work as easy or is harder to get/pricer than the windows system....

for a normal user, windows probabl the easiest....

Having used numerous laptops, nothing compares to ibm thinkpads, now lenovo thinkpads.

also dont get dell, have 1 myself, and have used others. just not nice.

of the 3 listed dell has the best spec but will have the worst looks.

Just to point out the model specified above (the 6400) is actually on of the better looking Dells. I'd agree many of Dells entry level products look awful - but not the 6400, I constantly get people saying how good mine looks (all expect a "piece of junk" when they hear the name dell)

As for the Thinkpads - very nice machines, but again you'll pay a premium.

And as regards for getting a HP from Harvey Norman, i'd imagine it would be a good idea to wait till after Christmas for the January sales. Besides i'd be very reluctant to buy from a shop - like many electronics, I dont think you can achieve the savings that the internet can provide by buying in a real store.

Compaq in now part of Hewlett Packard (according to my friend, who works for HP) and is still selling under the Compaq brand name.

Just bought Mr ACA Compaq notebook V6000 with Intel core-duo processor from PC World for €814.99 with laptop bag, surge protector extension, 10 CD R discs and a 1Gb memory stick (laptop was €749 without the accessories) Norton Anti-virus 2007 was an extra €37.49.

Came home plugged it in - the wireless connection worked with no hassle (after we'd got the WEP key!), btw Intel Core-duo is one of the fastest processors around at the mo too.

Fantastic machine - well worth the cash.

Will probably leave it now 'til the Jan sales and see can we get a
few bob off !
Starting to have doubts about Dell, they a deal that has
a free printer but you don't get any cables or connections,
.... extra for this.... extra for that, just give me a laptop I can
plug in and use like the one advertised !!! and trying to get
through to the sales person I was dealing with was a joke...
what would it be like if you had a problem with the actual
machine ?

Intel Core-duo is one of the fastest processors around at the mo too.

Its certainly true that duel core is the new standard in processor technology - I would'nt buy any laptop without it (forget old style centrino, celerons etc.) However there's loads of different types around with different spec.

With Intel it generally ranges from the entry level Core Duo T2050 (1.6Ghz) up to the very fast Core Duo T2700 (2.33Ghz).
With AMD it ranges from the Turion 64 X2 TL-50 (1.6GHz) to the Turion 64 X2 TL-60 (2Ghz).

In addition to the Intel T2 line mentioned above, a new product called Intel Core 2 Duo was launched this summer. Its still comparitively expensive and rare, but is probably the top mass produced commercial processor line in the world. It ranges from the Core 2 Duo T5200 (1.6Ghz) to the Core 2 Duo T7600 (2.33Ghz).

So what does Duel Core mean? Traditionally processors where made up of lots and lots of transistors. To get faster, these where made ever smaller so that more transistors could fit into the same space. A recent enough Pentium 4 processor contained perhaps 50m of these transistors in a single integrated circuit an Itinium 2 launched scarcely 2 years later contained 500m.

So surely things can't keep getting smaller? Well thats the problem, its becoming increasingly unviable to simply shrink things, so Intel and AMD in there great wisdom decided to sell 2 processors in one. So you could have 2 "cores" each of 250m transitors in the one microprocessor. Thats "duel core". Aside from the obvious numerical advantage, having two cores means the processor can focus on two completely different tasks at once, also theirs power/heat advantages...

sorry if i've bored you all! i'm always fascinated by laptop spec!

No worries CGorman..us ludites need someone to lead us into the light...

Anyway, anyone got an opinion on the following for a good all-rounder????...looks good value to me from the .ie version of :

Lenovo 3000 N100 for €790

This 15.4” widescreen laptop now with dedicated GeForce 7300 graphics, features a 1.66 GHz Core Duo processor and a glossy 15.4" widescreen display. Connectivity is represented by integrated Wireless LAN and Bluetooth, while the chassis and keyboard are built to the high standards that lenovo are known for.
  • Intel Centrino Core DuoT2300e Processor 1.66 GHz
  • 512 MB DDRII-667 MHz SDRAM - Low cost double memory offer – call for details!
  • 80 GB Hard Drive
  • DVD Dual Layer Drive - To read DVDs and CDs and write CDs, DVD+, DVD- and large Dual Layer DVD
  • 15.4" WXGA Widescreen TFT Screen
  • nVidia GeForce Go 7300
  • Integrated LAN and 56k v.90 data fax modem
  • Integrated wireless 802.11 a/b/g LAN - Call for advice on Wireless networking
  • Integrated Bluetooth
  • Integrated 4 -in-1 card reader – reads Memory Stick, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, XD Picture Card
  • Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Capable
  • 1 year warranty - upgradeable to 3 years

Very nice spec and very nice price! See how much for the "low cost memory upgrade", because if you could upgrade to 1GB Ram, then thats a very very good machine for that price.

Hey a few things.
First look at boards.ie, they have a helpful laptop and computer section.

Second of all, no matter what electronics you buy, always read some reviews.
I find these 3 reviews in seconds for the laptop you suggested...

Lenovo 3000 N100
[broken link removed]
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2839
http://reviews.cnet.com/Lenovo_3000_N100/4505-3121_7-31756411.html

Another thing, a lot of magazines and online 'review' places have their top pick of electronic items - you usually do well my listening to these people. For example
[broken link removed]
(im not sure if that link will work)

For your own use, being home general useage, I'd imagine things that are important and less important are

- important
style
screen size, clarity, quality
dvd-burning
decent harddisc
good wireless
robust

- less important
battery power
graphics card, you a hardcore gamer?
weight

Read a few reviews, see what suits your needs best.

C took your advice and asked for a quote for 1G memory on the Lovono - theyre asking another 90 euro which is kinda putting the who deal out of my budget range. Still look like good value to you?

C took your advice and asked for a quote for 1G memory on the Lovono - theyre asking another 90 euro which is kinda putting the who deal out of my budget range. Still look like good value to you?
You could add in additional RAM after you purchase the machine at (potentially) lower costs than currently being quoted (and at a later date if budget is being stretched).
The hassle of having it fitted may make the (potential) saving a mute point.

Search AAM for sources of good value RAM.
(In saying all that, €90 for +500mb of RAM doesn't seem all that bad so unsure if you may be able to beat it. The timing issue could be more of a decision making issue, allowing you to put off the spend until your in a happier position to make it)

have you tried pc world?
you might get some good bargain there.
Besides the insurance policy there is definately peace of mind.

I still think the lenovo is a good deal even with 512MB ram - as pointed out you can upgrade that later when budget is'nt as stretched - besides ram is getting cheaper by the month. The Lenovo definately comes accross well and I think you'll struggle to beat Laptopsdirect on price (not affiliate)

Back