Advice on Buying Car

InfoSeeker

I have been trying to buy a Saab for the last few months but have 2 offers on the table right now, would appreciate any advice that people have (both are private sales):

(1) 2005, 9-3 1.8 Linear, petrol, 48k miles, serviced last month & new set of tyres - 17,000 euros

(2) 2005, 9-3 Linear Sport 1.9 TiD, diesel, 76k miles. This is been brought in from the UK & purchased from a leasing company, therefore the mileage should not be as bad as if it was driven in Ireland. All in cost would 16,500 euros.

My only concern is the mileage on the diesel. I would not be looking to resell in the near future, ie I would be happy to drive the car for the next 7/8 yrs

Need to decide by end of day so if you have any advice then it would be appreciated.

If the diesel is coming from one of the big leasing companies, Lex Leasing etc., it will have been serviced regularly to at least the manufacturers specification and the majority of the mileage is probably on motorways (rep mobile). 76k is nothing on a diesel. Check for full service history, timing belt changes, etc. AFAIK lower road tax than the petrol as well after July. This would be my choice, if I wanted to buy a Saab, that is.

Tks mathepac, it is coming from Lex Leasing as it happens:)
I will ask about the timing belt changes.

Their cars seem to be exceptionally well maintained and worthy of the higher prices they seem to get at auction in the UK. I'm not in the trade, but that's the story I hear from "them that knows".

Good luck with your decision and happy motoring thereafter.

AFAIK lower road tax than the petrol as well after July.

VRT and Road Tax changes taking effect on the 1st of July are only for newly registered cars (new and second-hand imports) in the state on and after 1st July. No changes for cars registered prior to that date.

Yup as mathepac said 76K is nothing on a diesel. Looks a pretty good price too compared to those on cbg.ie.

Tks for the responses, I appreciate them, ya it seems a good price based on checking out motornet.ie, etc.

I decided to go with the diesel & have got over the mileage issue, I would do <10k miles a yr so it is not a major issue really.

The car will be delivered to the door which is nice so looking forward to deliver next week:)

Back