Advice On Astra Sport

interested

Does anyone here have one of the new Astra Sports.I was looking at one yesterday , it seems a nice well specified car which seems quite good value for money.I normally prefer Japanese cars for there longer warranty and there reliabilty but I think this particualr Astra has a nice shape and a very sporty nature.............

If by 'sporty nature' you mean it's attractive to look at i'd completly agree, i think it's a lovely looking car but some think it's a tad 'chav'.

If by 'sporty nature' you mean performance then i would aim for the 1.8 as the lesser engines are dreadful from that point of view.

Second hand (well 1 year old) they are great value from the UK where the spec is better too. I had one as a hire car for a few days last month and while overall it's not bad i did find the driving position to be pretty poor particularly for extended driving. Not much room in the back either.

Pretty car though...

Thanks Euro its for my wife so model we looked at was the 1.6 SXI which would be more than adequate for her.I liked the look of it and one thing I have noticed since we looked at the car is that a lot of females seem to be driving them !!!!!!!

We bought an Astra SXi earlier this year and while were very happy with the car it does fall short in some areas: the boot is small, too narrow- an extra couple of inches would have made all the difference. Also the lack storage spaces inside the car is a disappointment, given the overall quality of the interior.

Seems to be a lot of them on the roads. Possibly most have been bought under Opels 50/50 offer? Not sure if this offer is still going, but I'd say there may be a lot of them coming on the second hand market next year.

Thanks for reply stoarage space isnt a huge issue nor is boot size so those issues can be overcome. Hopefully garage can now come up with correct figures in relation to cost to change.

My main concern would be the reliability and comfort of the car as the majority of the driving in it would consist of long runs to the country so both factors are very important...........

Why doesn't she just go for the OPC Model. It may leave a bigger dent in your bank account but it's worth every penny. The seat are so comfortable, it come out of the box looking good(will already have the alloys, plus, plus, plus), It's got so many safety features you wouldn't believe and because it's from the OPC range she have the kids to school in no time.

interested said:
My main concern would be the reliability and comfort of the car as the majority of the driving in it would consist of long runs to the country so both factors are very important...........

I found it distinctly uncomfortable but that can be a very individual issue. I really think the steering wheel/pedals are an unusual distance apart such that i found it impossible to achieve a proper driving position.

You could do worse than see if they'd give you one for a day and get her to take the long trip down the country and see how she gets on.

Thanks for your help Eurofan but the model shes looking at is the one with the dual gearbox as she wont drive anything except an automatic.
I have asked our local garage in the country and they have kindly agreed to let us have one for a few hours so we will decide then.

I have the Astra Club and find it really comfortable to drive. In my last job I did quite a lot of mileage around the country, up to 150 mile round trips on the same day. The drivers seat is height adjustable and the steering wheel can be adjusted in and out and up and down iykwim.

Carpenter said:
We bought an Astra SXi earlier this year and while were very happy with the car it does fall short in some areas: the boot is small, too narrow- an extra couple of inches would have made all the difference. Also the lack storage spaces inside the car is a disappointment, given the overall quality of the interior.

A friend of mine bought the 1.3 diesel SXI recently and is very happy with it. I've driven it a few times and have found it to a nice car to drive. (Also quite economical for commuting.)

I don't agree with the comment about the boot space. We went shopping in Argos a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe the amount of stuff we fitted in with the seats folded! There is a lack of compartments inside the car but if it were my car I'd get over it.

Back