Advice Needed: Vacant Property Refurbishment Grant (Joint Ownership)

Staccato

Hi,
Apologies if this is the incorrect location for thread.

Looking for some advice, on the following:
In a registered farm partnership with my father in the west of Ireland.
On the land is a farmhouse; which has been vacant for the last ~20 years (though my father has used it for minimal usage (storage etc), kitchen use) over that time.
As part of farm partnership, the farmhouse was included in sharing the farmland between my father and I.
So I believe the farmhouse is in joint ownership at this stage.

Breaks my heart to see the farmhouse falling into disrepair. It's in a good enough state that availing of the Vacant Property Refurbishment grant might be a good idea to bring the house back to life. Would plan on relocating to the farm and use as Principal Primary Residence.

Does anyone know if in order to avail of the Vacant Property Refurbishment grant, that moving the house to sole ownership rather than joint ownership would be advisable?
Another area I was thinking of was splitting the house (house itself is actually two buildings connected by a hallway) in two, and renovate one to be focussed on daily farm use (wet area, kitchenette, toilet, office etc), while the other house as actual dedicated family home. Is splitting the folio for a house easy to do?
Ballpark estimates what would you reckon the costs would entail?

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know if in order to avail of the Vacant Property Refurbishment grant, that moving the house to sole ownership rather than joint ownership would be advisable?
Regardless of the grant question, this is something you should do before you spend a cent to avoid complications later.

Another area I was thinking of was splitting the house (house itself is actually two buildings connected by a hallway) in two, and renovate one to be focussed on daily farm use (wet area, kitchenette, toilet, office etc), while the other house as actual dedicated family home. Is splitting the folio for a house easy to do?
You'll probably need to create a folio to put the house in your name, so just as easy to do together. An engineer will do it.
But, also talk to your accountant on this, and understand the full long term tax implications.

Back