Advice needed - trade in or repair?

Sophia57

I have an 02 Opel Astra about 60.000 km on clock that was dented badly with rocks by local vandals a few months ago, just at the rim of the boot.

I've been told the whole hatchback door needs replacing and will cost thousands - cant be beaten out because of where it is.

Cant put it thru the insurance as we had a run-in about 2 years agao and it would put up premiums. I've dithered as to what to do but todays's little adventure has put the tin hat on things.

All my own fault - I was coming out of a car par and went to close to the wall without realising it - result: a deep scrape and dent on the front passenger door.

So now, would I be better off biting the bullet and trading it in even if it means taking out a loan to pay the difference? Will dealers take it with these dents? Its in perfect nick otherwise. What year should I go for? It has to be an automatic too as thats all I can drive.

Any advice very gratefully received - never had any luck with this car!!!

If its only the door why not ask a garage or a mechanic to source one for you from a breakers yard.

I did this a few years ago. A not so nice neighbour reversed his car into my Fiat Brava and the whole door was caved in. Rather than getting a panel beating job the local garage got a door from a breaker - exact same bar the colour and then did a respray to match the car. Absolutely perfect job - never saw one so good. I think the total cost at the time was under 300 quid. Might be cheaper that changing the car.

Thanks Steph, unfortunately its both things now - door and hatchback door!
This coould add up to very pricey repairs, and finding the door etc while working fulltime is impossible if you dont have friends in the trade.

So give up and start the search for a replacement? I have this whole process...tracking down cars, using up holiday time to go look at them, wondering are you being sold a pg in a poke cos you're a woman and havent a clue (no offence)

I'd gladly pay someone to do that for me but money os tight!

What you should do is a bit of research. First have a look in the golden pages or even google and try and find a breakers yard near where you live. Or have a look at the small ads in the evening herald or look in buy and sell there are often adverts there for breakers and they will have details of the types and models of cars they are breaking.

You can ring them and give them the year and model of your car and they will be able to tell you what parts if any they have. Of course you will have to get it fitted but again you need to suss out either a panel beater or someone who is skilled in doing bodywork on cars.

Isn't it awful all the trouble now you have to go through because of those idiotic vandals :(

Thanks again, Steph. I did the Golden pages route and people were to ring me back when they had the parts - after endless phone calls and no calls returned I gave up.

Then this scrape today - I just feel like getting shot of the car entirely as its going to be twice the hassle finding two doors.
OK toda was my fault comletely, but never did anything to those brats...reported but nothing came of it.

Anyone recommemd a good car dealer in S. Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford?

[broken link removed]

Try the above link. Just to say I've absolutely no connection with this business.

My cousin bought a car from him recently and is delighted with it. So may be worth a try.

I have an 02 Opel Astra about 60.000 km on clock that was dented badly with rocks by local vandals a few months ago, just at the rim of the boot.

I've been told the whole hatchback door needs replacing and will cost thousands - cant be beaten out because of where it is.

It depends who told you this really -was it the dealer? I would try a recommended local independent crash repairer for an estimate. Stress that you are paying yourself and not through insurance. Then price the repairs vs he cost of replacing the car. Don't assume you will be ripped off because you are female. Ask all the questions you like, especially - "is there a cheaper way of doing this?"

Personally I think that you will end up paying anyway, in the trade in price. So I would not be too keen to replace the car (forgive me if I am incorrect, but you seem very keen to land yourself with a loan on a depreciating asset because of a bit of cosmetic damage). If the car is driveable, there is no urgency. Even with a repair, there is no need to return it to showroom condition - it's an 02, not an 08!

Mind you, I drive a 10 year old car, built to last and with a few dents and scrapes :).

Thanks, Diziet for the advice. Believe me, I'm in no rush to land myself with a loan at all - probably sounds like that because I haven't a clue when it comes to cars.

It was the local garage I take the car to for services that told me I needed to replace the hatchback door - that a panel beater could do nothing with it. They don't do crash repairs themselves - it was they sent me to the breakers yards, but no luck.

Anyway, the partner of a friend is a panel beater and he's agreed to have a look at it this week and see if he can do anything with it. I'm not bothered about the cosmetic look of the car (I've driven it for 6 months with these big dents in the boot) it was just when I put this enormous wide scrape and dented the door yesterday, I honestly didnt think anything could be done with it and felt like getting rid.

The panel beater said a garage wouldn't give me much as trade in as it is anyway, so I hope he can fix it up a bit.

Have to keep the fingers crossed, I suppose.

Back