Advice needed:Second Hand car passed NCT but transpires had been in a crash.

C

ChrisK

I bought a second half car in Nov 05 from car dealer, 3 months warranty on all parts and any mechanical problems. Also got a guarantee that they would fix anything that didn't pass nct. It did pass nct. The car had a few dents and scrapes on it so I decided to get same fixed. Bought car to new garage for estimate, they told me this car had been in a crash and that the repairs done on it was were second-rate.

My 3 months warranty ends Feb 06, just wondering where do I stand with car dealer, if I known car had been in a crash I wouldn't have bought same.

ChrisK

Re: Advice needed

ChrisK said:
My 3 months warranty ends Feb 06, just wondering where do I stand with car dealer, if I known car had been in a crash I wouldn't have bought same.

Did you ask the dealer whether or not the car had ever been in a crash, and if so, what did they say?

If the car passed the NCT, it suggests that it is roadworthy at least, and unles there is a serious defect that existed at time of sale, or as a result of the crash, there doesn't appear to be a case under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

All the info you need is on the [broken link removed]. If you didn't ask the question, then caveat emptor applies.

It's worth consulting the SIMI website though, I think you might have some recourse. The last car I had was bought from a dealer and I never asked if the car had ever been crashed as apart from some minor cosmetic damage the car appeared to be perfect. However I noticed that the tyres were wearing very unevenly after a couple of thousand kms. I brought the car to a tyre dealer (car now out of warranty) to have the tracking checked. The guy there suggested that the tracking was so off he'd suspected front end crash damage. I stormed back to the original dealer and threatened all sorts- he admitted that some minor repairs had been carried out prior to the sale of the vehicle but he paid for an independent assesor to examine the car to satisfy me. The car was fine, minor repair work had been carried out but there was no structural damage. But I felt the dealer had been dishonest as I'd (foolishly) paid too much for a car that was in less than perfect condition. Anyway I wangled another 6 months warranty (in writing) from the dealer and he went bust a year later, no surprise there. Caveat emptor.

ChrisK said:
I bought a second half car in Nov 05 from car dealer,

When did you buy the first half ???

Sorry, could not resist, it's still early in the day:)

Hope you get it sorted. Good luck

Thanks for replies. There is nothing major wrong with car is just that I didn't know it had been crashed. I did ask at time had car any crash damage, his reply " an eight year old car is bound to have some knocks and bumps......" will ring them to see what they say.... again thanks.

ChrisK

The fact it passed the NCT doesn't mean it is rtoad worthy.

Remeber the prime time program on RTE about a lady who bought a golf that turned out to be a cut and shut. Went through an NCT no problem.

Owner then noticed problems a garage took a good look and found the horror.

NCT had not noticed first time.

ChrisK said:
Thanks for replies. There is nothing major wrong with car is just that I didn't know it had been crashed. I did ask at time had car any crash damage, his reply " an eight year old car is bound to have some knocks and bumps......" will ring them to see what they say.... again thanks.

ChrisK

chris go back and tell the dealer that his advice is BS. "bumps and knocks"!!!!!! i'd give him some B and knocks if i were you.i am sure he knew what damage it had before selling it to you.if you are not happy go back and either get it fixed/further warrenty or refund.

Whether he knew or not it pretty much irrelevant-as has been pointed out caveat emptor applies.

The fact that ChrisK asked was there any crash damage and the dealer gave a somewhat disingenuous answer suggests that ChrisK may have a case for a repair or refund.

Frank said:
The fact it passed the NCT doesn't mean it is rtoad worthy.

I said that passing the NCT suggests the car is roadworthy as from the

The NCT tests the roadworthiness of motor vehicles and identifies any defects, such as faulty brakes, unbalanced wheels and thread worn tyres. These defects must be repaired and the car must pass a re-test before the car owner will be issued with an NCT Certificate

A 'cut and shut' isn't necessarily unroadworthy, but there may be a separate case under comsumer legislation if a car is found to be such subsequent to sale.

CCOVICH said:
The fact that ChrisK asked was there any crash damage and the dealer gave a somewhat disingenuous answer suggests that ChrisK may have a case for a repair or refund.

Does it not seem to be a case of ChrisK's words against dealer's word..?Unless ChrisK has written proof that dealers stated the car had never been crashed, i doubt he has a case for repair or refund..

ChrisK said:
.. they told me this car had been in a crash and that the repairs done on it was were second-rate.
Are we talking major crash or small crash? amount of damaged done?
About bad repairs, are they talking about safety or cosmetic?

bacchus said:
Does it not seem to be a case of ChrisK's words against dealer's word..?Unless ChrisK has written proof that dealers stated the car had never been crashed, i doubt he has a case for repair or refund.

Touché, but surely the opposite as equally true, i.e. unless the dealer can prove he said otherwise, then ChrisK has a case for a refund?

Would you take the word of a used car salesmen? ;)

The point about the nature of the repairs etc. is a good one-is this just a case of one machanic slagging off another's work?

Back