Advice needed re savings

stevie

Hi

I'm looking for advice re my savings and how to get the best/safest return.

I'm a 28 year old male and not in a serious relationship presently.

My savings are as follow (rounded to nearest 100 euro in each case): -
TSB current account - 3,000 EURO
TSB investment account (21 days notice) - 25,000 euro
TSB regular savings a/a (21 days notice) - 14,200 euro
Credit union account 25,500 euro
Bank of Ireland Life evergreen Fund 21,600 euro. (Into which I am contributing 330.75 euro monthly)
Total 89,300 euro.

I am lucky at the moment in that I'm living at home with my parents rent free and my outgoings aren't major. My take home pay is approx 535 euro per week and even after my contributions into the evergreen fund I would be quite comfortably able to save 300 euro per week. Well this figure varies week to week obviously but averaged out. I don't have any overdrafts, loans, credit card bills etc. I am genuinely due a promotion and have being told as such by the boss but there is a freeze on promotions at the moment. There is a freeze on overtime also which I will discount for the moment. With a promotion I could genuinely expect 5k extra per annum gross. Now when this will happen is another matter.

My first concern is the credit union account. I heard last week on the radio that many credit unions will not be declaring a dividend this year. Was in at mine on Saturday and asked what the situation was there. The teller told me it was just too early to tell but even if one was paid not to expect anything and if a small dividend was paid to look at it as a bonus. So think it may be best to draw all this money out bar a few quid to keep a/c open.

The BOI evergreen Fund has being a real thorn in my side. I have invested over 30k in it and it had lost approx one third of its value. However, over the last few months it has being showing signs of recovery. Was pondering encashing this or part of it earlier in the year but think it may be best to sit it out for a recovery/ hope of recovery. Am keeping an eye on it

On the TSB savings accounts I don't know the current interest rates but this time last year they were relatively competitive. Will find out current rates in due course. There is probably ideally too much cash in my current account. With the new savings a/c I plan to open from credit union monies I would transfer the most of this cash too.

Could somebody provide me pointers on the best savings account options available please. Would I get a better rate by consolidating all my savings into the one account? Any pointers on what I should do re the evergreen Fund?

Although I don't foresee any major expenditure in the next months I am keeping a close eye on the housing market. If a property presented itself at the right price I would buy. Purley speculation on my part but I think house prices have more to fall plus I sincerely believe house are overpriced even presently. I don't plan on being a slave to a mortgage for the next 35 years though. 10 years at most and nearer 5 hopefully. I would plan to use as much of my savings as possible to pay for house. Hence I am a bit weary of committing myself to long term savings plans. The main thing I want is a return of my savings and after that the best possible return on my savings.

Any help appreciated and any information needed that I am not including please ask

Stevie

My savings are as follow (rounded to nearest 100 euro in each case): -
TSB current account - 3,000 EURO

The best rate for a current account is 7.23% with Halifax. See the best buys thread here. Keep no more than 2,000 EUR in this account.

TSB investment account (21 days notice) - 25,000 euro
TSB regular savings a/a (21 days notice) - 14,200 euro
Credit union account 25,500 euro

You are getting very low returns on all the above accounts. I suggest that you close them all.

Do you want your money On Demand? If so then the best buy is Anglo Irish at 3.60%. See the best buys instant access accounts thread here.

Can you lock your money for 6 months or a year? Best Buys - Highest Term Deposit Rates thread is here.
6 Months - Investec - 4.04%
1 Year - Irish Nationwide- 4.25%

It is well worth the effort sorting out your savings accounts.

This is not an answer to your question but I think you should be given credit for doing such a good job at saving so much. I know it's easier when living at home especially if you don't have to hand up any money.
Fair play to you.

Many thanks fungus. Your reply is most helpful

The best rate for a current account is 7.23% with Halifax. See the best buys thread here. Keep no more than 2,000 EUR in this account.

7.23% appears very generous altogether for a current account. In particular because many don't pay any interest at all and even lots still have fees I'm sure. Hope it shouldn't be too troublesome changing the account for my wages to be paid into at work. The only standing orders are the evergreen fund contribution and my mobile broadband. Its just when I closed the BOI current account and opened the TSB switch account before it was seriously troublesome arranging for standing orders to come out of my new current account. Just to clarify I suppose I should leave enough money in this account to cover both payments and ensure they are coming out of the new account before I withdraw what remains in the account and close it? Would this be appropriate course of action? Just to confirm also they are covered by Government guarntee scheme?

You are getting very low returns on all the above accounts. I suggest that you close them all.

I am unsure of the full terms on conditions on these accounts regarding closing them. Would I miss out in any interest due to me from them or should I be paid what I have accrued on the day I close them? Or would I be penalised in any other way? My faith in the banking sector is very low so asking these questions in the branch may not yield the correct answers I think.

Do you want your money On Demand? If so then the best buy is Anglo Irish at 3.60%. See the best buys instant access accounts thread here.

Really and truly ideally I would but I just don't know either. It depends on whether or not I see a house which appeals to me (price/ location) in which case I would need as much of my money fairly pronto. No immediate plans though. Anglo Irish... Im not sure. Lenihans comments yesterday as per the thread on Anglo Irish in Deposits, Savings and their safety forum looks a wee bit worrying to me. Maybe I'm wrong... I stand to be corrected.

Can you lock your money for 6 months or a year? Best Buys - Highest Term Deposit Rates thread is here.

Looking at the Investec 6 month option with some interest. How would I go about setting up this account? Would it be online? Any dangers/ possible fraud attached? Would my deposit need to be made in sterling? The fact that it is guarnteed by the UK government and I'm an Irish citizen...Am I still able to avail of the protection?

It is well worth the effort sorting out your savings accounts.

I know! Thats my main priority for my time off in early July besides some time in the sun and some drinking! Thanks again fungus

This is not an answer to your question but I think you should be given credit for doing such a good job at saving so much. I know it's easier when living at home especially if you don't have to hand up any money.
Fair play to you.

Thanks niceoneted. Agreed it is easier if you are living at home no doubt. Having said that I only moved back home in the last year as I got a job closer to home. Had previously being in rented accommodation. I do my fair share of work round the house and buy some household items but thankfully folks are by no means tough on me.

I just don't believe in this idea of spending like moneys going out of fashion and borrowing to the hilt, buying bling bling cars and expensive holidays every few months. Mind you I do spend enogh to enjoy life all the same.

Just to clarify I suppose I should leave enough money in this account to cover both payments and ensure they are coming out of the new account before I withdraw what remains in the account and close it? Would this be appropriate course of action? Just to confirm also they are covered by Government guarntee scheme?

I suggest you open your Halifax account then update your direct debits and then close your PTSB account.

100,000 EUR is covered.

I am unsure of the full terms on conditions on these accounts regarding closing them. Would I miss out in any interest due to me from them or should I be paid what I have accrued on the day I close them? Or would I be penalised in any other way? My faith in the banking sector is very low so asking these questions in the branch may not yield the correct answers I think.

You should be paid what has been accrued to date when you close them. That will probably be zero with the CU.

Really and truly ideally I would but I just don't know either. It depends on whether or not I see a house which appeals to me (price/ location) in which case I would need as much of my money fairly pronto. No immediate plans though. Anglo Irish... Im not sure. Lenihans comments yesterday as per the thread on Anglo Irish in Deposits, Savings and their safety forum looks a wee bit worrying to me. Maybe I'm wrong... I stand to be corrected.

All deposits with Anglo Irish are 100% state guaranteed. They are very safe.

If you really worried, then choose Nationwide UK Ireland who offer 3.55% on an instant access account.

Looking at the Investec 6 month option with some interest. How would I go about setting up this account? Would it be online? Any dangers/ possible fraud attached? Would my deposit need to be made in sterling? The fact that it is guarnteed by the UK government and I'm an Irish citizen...Am I still able to avail of the protection?

Ring Investec and ask for the forms to be emailed/posted to you.

No dangers attached.

50,000 GBP is covered which is about 57,000 EUR. You can avail of this protection.

Back