Advice needed re disputed credit card transaction...

Kiddo

I have an Ulster Bank visa credit card. Recently I attemped to buy a voucher on-line from an Irish website. Entered all my details, name, address & credit card information. I was told the transaction hadn’t completed and to try again later. I subsequently found another website and bought the voucher there.

When I received by credit card bill I had been charged for the voucher from the first website. I phoned Ulster Bank visa and explained the situation and they told me they could dispute it on my behalf and they would send me out a form to fill in. I asked if I should contact the website owners and the guy in Ulster Bank visa said to try sort it out with them directly.

I e-mailed the contact address on the website and the following day the owner contacted me by phone. She was full of apologies and explained that the reason the website told me the trasaction hadn’t gone through was because I needed to register with them first. (no-where on the website does it say you need to register in order to shop with them) Anyway she promised to refund the money to my credit card the following day.

Two weeks later I phoned Ulster Bank visa who tell me that no credit was put through. So I have completed the form Ulster Bank visa sent me and have explained exactly what happened on the back of the form.

This is the first time I have had a dispute with my credit card. Should I contact the website owner again or send the completed dispute form back to the Ulster bank visa?. Will the fact that I contacted the website owner myself go against my chances of obtaining a refund.

Re: Advise needed re disputed credit card transaction...

The fact you contacted them and they offered a refund but failed to do so should go in your favour rather than against it.

However it won't have any bearing on the outcome - you have been charged for a service that you didn't receive and you will get a refund.

To expediete, I would contact the company again and give them 24hrs to refund your card, advising if they fail to do so that you will charge it back vie your acquiring bank. Explain there previous fruitless promise has left a bad feeling and they might offer you something as a goodwill gesture.....

Back