Advice needed, hubbys business folded

O

okidoki

My hubby's business has folded, he was a sole trader, and apparently having worked for 20 years as an employee all his PRSI contributions etc are lost, cannot be re-copued as he went from being employed to self employed:mad:, he was self employed for 3.5 years, business folded in July/August, he has managed to get employment for the last 10 weeks, but is being let go this Friday, his accountant has told him he isn't entitled to any social welfare, is this true, haven't had a chance yet to ring the Dept. I'm working 4 days a week and we have 3 kids under 10.

Would love to hear your opinions.

Your husband's contributions up to 3.5 years ago are not 'lost'. Presumably, he was paying self-employed contributions since then so his entitlements to pensions will be preserved. His entitlement to Jobseeker's Allowance is determined by SW (not his accountant)through a means test that will take any other income, such as your earnings into account. Also there may be an option for Family Income Supplement. I'd advice him to call to SW to make a claim to JA and ask about FIS.

Back