Motor Advice how best to contest an exorbitant policy

miyoung

I recently received a quote for the coming year's motor insurance which has increased by 5 fold on last year. The reason for this I believe is that my wife had an incident with a cyclist the year before last - she was leaving a car park at slow speed, crossing a cycle lane and pavement on to the roadway, when she was hit on the side by a cyclist (her perspective), cycling in the wrong direction on the cycle lane. My wife was concerned and in shock and checked that he was ok (which he seemed to be) and gave him her details and then reported the matter to the garda, who indicated that in their view she was not at fault. However, a couple of days later she was contacted by the cyclist (who to my knowledge still hasn't reported the incident to the garda) indicating a sum he wanted for repair/replacement (~€600) of his bicycle but my wife was very sceptical. He has since gotten a solicitor and claimed personal injury. I instructed my insurance company that the claim should be contested but 12 months ago they unilaterally accepted liability. That was the last I heard until I contacted them recently regarding renewal. No compensation has been paid - I understand the matter has been referred to the personal injuries board - but because there is an open claim on my policy no other insurance company will issue me a policy. I have been in touch with my insurance company but the person dealing with it has been ill since last week so they have been unable to clarify the situation, and I've been unable to drive.

As I can't get an alternative quote my sense is that my insurance company is exploiting the situation by only offering what I consider an exorbitant quote with no explanation or breakdown. I wonder if anybody has experience of such a situation or can offer advice on how best to engage.

Been there: nobody else will quote with open claim.
Have you received anything from the PIAB?
PIAB wrote to me detailing the claim.
It took 15 months for them to pay out.
You don't decide whether to contest or not, they do and the PIAB model means they contest nothing as the quantum of costs allows then certainty in most cases.
However the cyclist may not have bought into the PIAB model as he or more lightly,his solicitor, thinks there is more mula by not, as legal fees are capped in the PIAB model.

This link may help re the ombudsman, once you have exhausted the complaints process
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e.../motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

Back