Health Insurance Advice for Health Insurance Renewal.

Meath Lady

We are a couple in our late fifties and currently insured with Laya on Connect Choice. Policy due for renewal on 1/2/16. We are both reasonably healthy. Husband on blood pressure tablets. and cholesterol tablets and had heart attack 4 years ago. My Self have high cholesterol and on meds for this. Have also had one cataract removed in Mater Private and some lazer surgery to sharpen vision after the above procedure. On both occasions I had to pay the excess of 200 (Jan 2015) and 125 (Oct 2015). I will need similar treatment on the other eye possibly this year. I am happy with the policy excess but worry about the nightly shortfall in the Mater Private, Beacon and Hi tec hospitals. Any advice on similar policies with similar or better cover in the same price region. Thanks in advance. We live in Meath so hospitals in Dublin would be most suitable.

Meath Lady,

The following 3 plans are worth considering as alternatives to Laya Connect Choice. They all have a day case excess of 50 euro for private or
hi-tech hospitals. So this will suit for your next eye procedure.

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 999pa; same hospital cover as before; 150 x 2 max inpatient excess, day case excess 50 euro for private/hi-tech hospitals, outpatient day to day cover max refund 300 per year.

2. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 1099pa; same hospital cover as before, 150 x 1 max inpatient excess, day case excess 50 euro for private/hi-tech hospitals, outpatient day to day cover max refund 500 per year.

3. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1044pa; same hospital cover as before + private room in a private hospital covered, 100 x 2 max inpatient excess, day case excess 50 euro for private/hi-tech
hospitals, outpatient day to day cover - first 100 not allowed.

[broken link removed]

The above 3 plans have the same nightly shortfall, 175, as Connectchoice. This is the lowest nightly shortfall available.
They are worth considering, with lower day case excess 50 euro, and good savings overall.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Meath Lady,

The following 3 plans are worth considering as alternatives to Laya Connect Choice. They all have a day case excess of 50 euro for private or
hi-tech hospitals. So this will suit for your next eye procedure.

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 999pa; same hospital cover as before; 150 x 2 max inpatient excess, day case excess 50 euro for private/hi-tech hospitals, outpatient day to day cover max refund 300 per year.

2. Laya Simply Connect Plus; price 1099pa; same hospital cover as before, 150 x 1 max inpatient excess, day case excess 50 euro for private/hi-tech hospitals, outpatient day to day cover max refund 500 per year.

3. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1044pa; same hospital cover as before, 100 x 2 max inpatient excess, day case excess 50 euro for private/hi-tech
hospitals, outpatient day to day cover - first 100 not allowed.

[broken link removed]

The above 3 plans have the same nightly shortfall, 175, as Connectchoice. This is the lowest nightly shortfall available.
They are worth considering, with lower day case excess 50 euro, and good savings overall.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks Snowy B. Will study these as they look promising. Obviously will have to accept the nightly shortfall which would be manageable in the short term but very worrying if a long term stay followed a procedure. Any ideas have other companies anything better to offer or am I just as well staying with Laya. Thanks .

On another note to qualify for community rating must ine take insurance before turning 34 or 35.

Laya are most competitive on price, including 3 levels of hospital cover and outpatient cover. Other companies would have less cover for the same price or more expensive to tick all the same boxes.

You must take out insurance before turning 35 to qualify for lifetime community rating.

Snowyb

Laya are most competitive on price, including 3 levels of hospital cover and outpatient cover. Other companies would have less cover for the same price or more expensive to tick all the same boxes.

You must take out insurance before turning 35 to qualify for lifetime community rating.

Snowyb

Thanks Snowy B. I have a few days to study this . Definitely will look at changing to the lower day case excess. Thanks again for your valuable input.

Back