Adverts in Yahoo email inbox

Logo

I've had a yahoo.co.uk email address since the last century but lately I've been getting email advertisements in my inbox that I reckon are yahoo-sponsored. I don't click or open them but it's a bit annoying (although I can hardly complain for the free service provided). I'm just wondering if every other email provider is including this unwanted intrusion? Thanks

I also have a long time yahoo address. I don't get the sort of things you're talking about, and in general yahoo has been absolutely top notch for filtering out spam. Just wondering -- what makes you think they are sponsored by yahoo itself?

Yeah, these are ads that Yahoo charge for. Gmail doesn't, yet at least, but then they do use the information in the mailbox to better profile you for ads on other platforms. These are the prices to be paid for a free service.

Logging into my yahoo account from the 'favorites' option just shows my regular yahoo emails. However when I log on using the yahoo page search I'm getting the adverts. So It's probably spam. I've tried to attach screenshots without success. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? Thanks

Hang on -- are these real Inbox items ... I mean actual emails? Surely the list of mails in your Inbox can't change depending on how you hyperlink to them.

They appear as inbox items or emails...
I'm new to Jing so hope this screenshot attachment works.
[broken link removed]
I know now that it's spam so how to get rid of it is the problem. Thanks

I've never come across them, but according to the screenshots in the following Yahoo help page, it looks like they've been around a couple of years:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN15803.html

It says your option is to buy a Yahoo subscription, so they must finally be trying to monetise their email service. I notice everytime I go to the Yahoo mail web interface it asks if I want to update to the "new interface" or stick with "classic". I've never updated, so I wonder if the update was part of their attempt to roll out ads. It does tell me I'll be able to go back to classic if I want, so maybe that's worth trying, to get rid of ads? In any case, I use a desktop client -- Microsoft Outlook -- to connect to their POP / SMTP servers, so I would never be using the web interface anyway. Maybe this is also a way of keeping out the ads. If you don't have Outlook you could use a free client like Mozilla Thunderbird.

Last edited:
Hang on -- are these real Inbox items ... I mean actual emails? Surely the list of mails in your Inbox can't change depending on how you hyperlink to them.

Yeah, they're not emails, so not spam, but ads that are presented by Yahoo to look like emails. Making them look like emails means people are more likely to click on them, and Yahoo earn more money for these click-throughs. They are present in the web client and the Yahoo app.

Given the number of compromises of Yahoo email, and how poorly the company has treated its users, I'd be moving providers.

Back