adsl modem dsl light won't go solid but flashes

podgerodge

New connection to UTV Internet in my parents house - still talking to UTV about the fact that I can't get the DSL light to go solid (Eircom have confirmed that the line is activated).

I presume the modem doesn't have to be connected to the computer for the purposes of testing the line - i.e I don't have to worry about connecting the modem to the pc until I have got the dsl light solid?

No - the light should stop blinking when the ADSL connection is established. If it keeps blinking then there is a problem. Are you sure that you installed microfilters on any phones connected to the line if applicable and in case lack of them is causing problems? Connecting the PC to the router and using it to access the router's administration page (e.g. http://192.168.1.1 or something similar) may help diagnose problems or at least give a bit more insight into what's wrong.

It doesn't need to be connected to the computer in order to make a connection but you might want to do so in order to diagnose the problem. Most routers will have a diagnostic routine which will test the modem settings and try to connect.

If this is a brand new installation you almost certainly will need to connect to a computer in order to configure your account details and password etc.
Not sure what the set up is with UTV though.

If I recall correctly that's on the right track - i.e. you will need to connect to the router in order to enter your UTV ClickSilver account name and password before the ADSL router will be able to establish a connection. This stuff should all be explained clearly in documentation that came with the gear or on the UTV website (not much use if you can't access it I suppose).

We had this problem a while back even though we had been successfully using the router for about two months at the time. While we had changed nothing on the PC itself we had installed a new telephone handset in our kitchen. We took this off and replaced it with the old one and Hey Presto our Broadband connection went back to normal. Perhaps there is incompatability with the broadband router and existing phones or other pieces of equipment in your parents house?

ClubMan said:
If I recall correctly that's on the right track - i.e. you will need to connect to the router in order to enter your UTV ClickSilver account name and password before the ADSL router will be able to establish a connection. This stuff should all be explained clearly in documentation that came with the gear or on the UTV website (not much use if you can't access it I suppose).

I see what you mean - but I assumed the dsl light would go solid regardless of being logged in, just that I would have to login to go surfing. I did manage to get a solid light yesterday (only once after disconnecting every phone in the house - and not since that even though the phones were still disconnected) and the dsl router diagnostic said connected but entering the username and password kept on bringing me back to the login screen again... And I couldn't access the web... Thanks

brokeparent said:
Perhaps there is incompatability with the broadband router and existing phones or other pieces of equipment in your parents house?

possibly, its an old house and the main phone connection comes into the attic and is then split twice in the hotpress before going downstairs and being split 3 times then! But I did connect the modem directly to the line from the attic with no better joy...

Back