Adding rookie driver to main car policy

Roro999

My son recently passed his driving test. All lessons and test were done in the xar of the driving instructor.
Son not in a position to buy a small car yet and maybe in a year's time. Is it advantageous to him to add him to main car policy as an additional driver for a year at a cost of €250 even though he won't be driving the main car ? Or should he just wait until he has his own car ?

Add him anyway; good way to keep his hand in for a year or two & is a help (albeit small) towards insurance in his own name when that time comes.

Also gives you a handy designated driver for nights out! :)

My son recently passed his driving test. All lessons and test were done in the xar of the driving instructor.
Son not in a position to buy a small car yet and maybe in a year's time. Is it advantageous to him to add him to main car policy as an additional driver for a year at a cost of €250 even though he won't be driving the main car ? Or should he just wait until he has his own car ?
That figure sounds suspiciously low unless he's a lot older than most novice drivers?

For the sake of €250 I’d add him.
Make sure he keeps a copy of the policy with his name on it as when he gets his own policy he may need too show proof.

Son not in a position to buy a small car yet and maybe in a year's time. ... even though he won't be driving the main car ? Or
Won't he need to use it occasionally to keep up his practice? Passing the test and then not driving for a year sounds like a recipe for disaster when he does start driving proper...

I would add him, it keeps his skills up, he can drive you around and there may be a night when you don’t need the car and he can use it. Win win all around

Back