Actuarial adjustment and extra tax

J

jcrgordon

I am about to be made redundant and am entitled to, amongst other things, a monthly payment of £1,212.12 until I reach the age of 60 which is exactly eight years from now. I have been told that the total value of this is £116,363.66 (which I agree is accurate) and it will be paid as an immediate lump sum actuarially adjusted.

1. What is the actuaruial adjustment and how can I calculate it to verify my employers calculations?

2. If I receive this lump sum then I will be liable to pay income tax on it at 40% whereas if I received the monthly payments I would only pay basic rate income tax. Can I claim that extra tax back from my employer and how can I calculate the amount that I should claim?

Thanks.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it21.html might help with the tax part.

As for the actuarial adjustment, I assume it is some sort of present value adjustment because it is worth more to get a lumpsum now than to get it paid over 8 years. Interest rates are low are your lumpsum might be less favourable that if they were higher. But I'm bluffing here, you're best just asking your employer to see the calculation.

Back