Action to take before the Budget to avoid tax increases

Motor tax rate increases are usually effective from 1 January XXXX, so I dont see how this is going to save anything, it will actually cost you, as you are paying tax earlier than need be. Only items like fags, drink and fuel go up on budget night by way of special resolution.

The increases might be effective from 1/1/xxxx, but they are applied by the local authorities/motortax.ie as soon as they are known (i.e. after tomorrow) for January renewals.

People renewing tax on a vehicle after budget day (for tax due from 1/1/2013) will be charged the new rates, not the current rates. This happened last year. A poster on boards.ie challenged this with the local motor tax office but got nowhere.

Renewing today will avoid the increase.

Great tip to do it online, I have another car tax expires end January '13, I tried to retrieve my pin and it will not allow me..this is the message.....am I screwed on this car..?

'' The tax on this vehicle is not due. You will receive a renewal notice with PIN in the month your vehicle tax expires..''.

€45 saved on my wifes car tax by taxing before the budget increases today, that's the new €1 per bottle of wine tax paid on 45 bottles of wine at the off licence....what a bargain !

Go online and request a PIN by email. Log in and renew for 2013 at 2012 rates.

My wife renewed annual motor tax for 2013 at 00.01 am Saturday December 1st 2012.

My wife got her 2013 tax disc last week in the post costing €220 or €225, I forget exactly.

Yesterday, she got a 2013 renewal notice in the post for €280, straight to the recycling bin.

Wouldn't you think that the system they use would recognise that she paid online on 1st December and that they had already sent out her 2013 tax disc.

+1

I renewed the morning of the budget, my motor tax was due from 1 January and I paid €660

I then got my renewal in the post today saying €710 is due?

However I still havent received my tax disc. Is it possible the system will recognise that €50 is still due and not issue the disc until then?

You never know with that lot.

If you managed to pay at the lower rate you should get your disc, it can take a week.

+1

I renewed the morning of the budget, my motor tax was due from 1 January and I paid €660

I then got my renewal in the post today saying €710 is due?

However I still havent received my tax disc. Is it possible the system will recognise that €50 is still due and not issue the disc until then?

I'd give it another few days for the disc to arrive. As your payment of €660 was accepted, I'd say thats all it cost.

I renewed the day before the budget - got the tax disc and the renewal notice (with the new rates) last Friday.

Update;

I got my tax disc this mornign in the post after paying and renewing at pre budget rates.

The tax disc has both the amount I paid (660 euro) and the post budget liability (710 euro) printed on the disc However the tax dics cover note stated no arrears were due!!!!!

Should I be concerned?

Is the expiry date correct?

yes expiry date is fine, only item that concerns me is that there are two amounts printed on the disc, what I actually paid and what my post budget renewal stated was due

Sounds like they didn't print your disc until after the new rates were loaded onto their system, so had to include both rates on it. My disc shows the old rate only.

If the cover note said no arrears due, then I'd say that's the end of it.

Back